Mr. Gilbert MacFarlane (Mr. Mac) 1901 - 1997
  • If anyone knew or knew of this true Christian gentleman and his wife Martha, I would greatly appreciate communicating with you. He was at one time the choirmaster and organist at Christ Church Cathedral in Louisville, KY when it had a men and boys choir. He was the essence and example of what a choirmaster should be and an inspiration to many. Before Christ Church Cathedral Episcopal of Louisville, KY, he was Choirmaster and Organist at Trinity Episcopal Church in Watertown, NY from 1936 to 1952. He came to CCC Louisville in 1952 and retired in 1976 or 1977 (?). His wife of many years was Martha Martin MacFarlane who proceeded him in death. Their two children were Charles "Chuckie" MacFarlane and Jeannette Gilberta Macfarlane Dalglish 1927-2015. The "Macs" were deeply loved, honored and respected by literally hundred of men and boys. He was my first piano and organ teacher while I was in high school and sang in the men and boys choir. They often quietly bought poorer boys articles of clothing like dress shoes and paid for their afternoon pre-rehearsal meals at the Millers Restaurant next to the Cathedral. Shamefully, he was woefully paid for an important full time position which he held for a long time.

sarumsociety@aol.com
  • I think that he is the one who wrote a Fantasia, Toccata, or something like that on Victimae Paschali Laudes that William Barnard used to play every Easter for an ending voluntary during his tenure as choirmaster and organist at Christ Church Cathedral in Houston in the fifties, sixties, and early seventies. It's a grand piece (either grand or gauche, depending on your frame of mind).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    Conflation?
    Confusion?

Lynnwood Farnam (13 January 1885 — 23 November 1930)
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Farnam,_Lynnwood

Will C. Macfarlane (2 October 1870 — 12 May 1945)
    https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Macfarlane,_Will_C.
  • Eft -
    Something told me that I had the wrong man.
    It was, indeed, Lynnwood Farnam and the filii and filiae.
    At least I got the first syllable right.
    My memory of the piece is hazy - except that it was an old warhorse.
    Thanked by 1eft94530