Formatting Illuminare-produced scores into a book
  • I have posted the following query to the Gregorio Users's Google Group but have received no response. Can anyone here offer me advice? (A sample .pdf file is attached.)
    +++++

I am revising The American Gradual and wish to produce the revised edition in two notational formats: modified modern notation and conventional chant notation.

I have been using the Illuminare Score Editor to produce the conventional chant notation version. My plan is (or was) to use Amazon Create Space to produce the chant notation version in book form. I have formatted the Illuminare-produced scores as 5.5" x 8/5" inch pages; I have been unsuccessful in incorporating these into a .pdf document with proper placement of gutters on alternate pages and with page numbers. My understanding is that Create Space requires submission of ta book's entire contents, properly formatted, in a single .pdf

Someone, without elaboration, suggested using InDesign to produce such a .pdf.

Has anyone had experience in using InDesign or some other program to put Gregorio-gabc files into book format? If you have, can you explain--at least in outline--how you went about it?

Has anyone successfully used any other tool?

Should I be using something other than the Illuminare Score Editor to convert my gabc Code into scores?

Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Getting them to work together is a pain, but if you are able, Gregorio and Scribus create good stuff.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Let Illuminare Score Editor produce a pdf of each score, then place these pdf's in the InDesign document.
    Thanked by 1Marc Cerisier
  • SMVANROODE: I take it that you have used InDesign for some purpose or other and think I should procure it. I'm willing to do so as long as I'm sure it will serve my purpose. I'll look into it.
  • ClLEMENS ROMANUS. I'll look at Scribus and see is if am able to use it. Thank you.
  • chonakchonak
    In order to use Scribus and Gregorio together, you'd need to have them both running on your PC; that is, instead of processing the GABC files at the Illuminare site.
  • tomjaw
    InDesign should work fine and will have all the tools you need. I used to use the older DTP software from Adobe, but now use Apple Pages...
  • A while back I broke down and learned enough LaTeX to use Gregorio at the command line. The project I wanted to work on is stalled, alas.
  • CGM
    Another option, at least, if you're a Mac user, is

a) use the Illuminare Score Editor to produce a PDF of each score
    b) use the Preview app to convert that PDF into a TIFF or PNG graphic file (no loss of quality/resolution)
    c) use that graphic file in your favorite layout program (Word, Publisher, Quark XPress, etc.)
    d) produce your final PDF from that layout program

That's the route I'd take.
  • What's a favorite modern notation software for chant. When Lilypond goes stemless I have lots of alignment problems with slurs so I usually just create with stems.
  • a_f_hawkins
    My Lilypond knowledge has rusted through lack of use, but - can you make the stems invisible? they might still help with alignment!
  • Some day I will print my programs on hand fans.
  • ryandryand
    Musescore is a good free software and does well with stemless
  • Can Illuminare do BOLD and ITALIC fonts?
  • Schönbergian
    One _ or ^ will fix a LilyPond slur, and one command at the beginning will hide all stems.
  • ...two notational formats...

DEO GRATIAS!
    This is worth a Te Deum.

Bruce - do you have a time frame?
    If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • Another option, at least, if you're a Mac user, is

a) use the Illuminare Score Editor to produce a PDF of each score
    b) use the Preview app to convert that PDF into a TIFF or PNG graphic file (no loss of quality/resolution)
    c) use that graphic file in your favorite layout program (Word, Publisher, Quark XPress, etc.)
    d) produce your final PDF from that layout program

That's the route I'd take.

The Mac can handle PDF files natively, even in apps like Word that you wouldn’t normally think of for this. My own workflow always goes PDF -> InDesign. Anything you can do to avoid converting vector to raster is a good thing.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I was wondering about that extra step too. Here's what I got by just dragging Illuminare PDFs into Pages:
    Thanked by 1Marc Cerisier
  • mikevp
    Hi Bruce — I'd be happy to help using a desktop publishing software.

Will send you a PM with my email.