Requesting a Job that isn't Available?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I am not sure of the best way to ask this, but have any of you ever been offered the services of an assistant director before you'd officially decided you needed one?

If, say, someone in your choir (with whom you've collaborated, throughout, and even had run rehearsals/sectionals/motets when you were unavailable) were to bring up to you and your rector/pastor the idea that they would like to be considered for an assistant director position (that was not actually posted or "available"), would you be offended or annoyed? Would you take the time to contemplate the idea, if you hadn't already?

If this is a situation that you've been in, what was your reaction/the outcome?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • Huh. There is a great deal of nuanced consideration in the scenario you present.

In terms of annoyance, it would depend on my perception of the individual. Are they implying that I'm not doing my job? Are they trying to develop themselves? Are they someone who would work well with me? How are they at following my direction, generally speaking? Or is this an attempt to undermine what I'm getting done?

Either way, I would certainly speak with the pastor independently. If I felt this wasn't a good fit, I'd address it - either directly or obliquely depending on the circumstances.

I think there are also positives to take out of this.

Coming from a teaching background, I really believe in trying to build up for the future, not just of this particular parish, but of liturgical music in general terms. In that sense, I try to find ways to get people to do a bit more because it pushes them to develop musically and professionally. Maybe it is as low key as encouraging someone to become a cantor or providing opportunities for solo work that they haven't sought out. Sometimes it is actively seeking out other growth opportunities for members... one summer, I had a group of younger women that were interested plan out the summer schedule and support it by playing the organ or singing (by themselves) the music program. Sometimes it is seeking out scholarship options, even for members for whom that might not have been on the radar screen.

Sometimes it is much more involved... like having an assistant that I don't actually need. People learn by doing, so I might have the assistant direct part of the rehearsal or part of the Mass. I might give them certain projects or tasks in line with things that need to happen through the year. I try to do this in a way which encourages and develops rather than trying to be obvious about the teaching aspect that is involved.

Of course, in this kind of scenario there is a fair amount of compromise on my part (often unsuspected by my assistant). Sometimes I have to adjust timelines on projects because they aren't as AR about planning things out. Sometimes they might have suggestions or want to change things that I'm not particularly in favor of, but which I end up implementing so that they see they are part of the process as well. Sometimes those changes / suggestions even work out better than I might have expected!

I guess the bottom line - is the person who suggested this trying to develop and grow themselves? If yes, I'd want to encourage that in some way even if not ultimately making them my assistant. If their reasons are less altruistic... I'd find a way to ensure it doesn't happen.
  • Carol
    Incardination, this is a lesson unto itself in true humility. Those who are in your choir and your parish are lucky to have you!
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Incardination is too modest. He excels in cultivating the talents of his choristers and giving those with above-average interest plenty of further avenues to assist, whether vocally or in leadership and accompaniment of the choir. And this unasked, but rather proactively.
    Thanked by 2Carol StimsonInRehab
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    This would prompt a conversation between me and the pastor about whether I really needed an assistant director. However, if I was not seeking an assistant, I would politely inform them so and thank them for their interest and willingness to serve.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Incardination is The Most Interesting Choir Director In The World.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    With a peculiar choice of username about which I keep forgetting to inquire.
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I think his username is actually a tribute to his late lamented laptop, and how it suffered it's untimely demise.

Oh wait. Then his name would be "InCarbonation", wouldn't it? (Too soon, Cardy?)
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • You have been complimented.
    Someone who enjoys working with you and with whom you avow that you have a 'collaborative' relationship, who has done rehearsals, etc., when you were 'unavailable', seems to want a more formal relationship, and is offering to be the assistant which it may seem to him or her that you could use. That much I glean from your comments above.

I would think over whether or not I actually did want, or did need, an assistant; whether having one was feasible salary-wise, and whether the person in question was compatible with me. You need only give this some thought and inform the person that you do or do not want an assistant at this time.

The negative aspect is that this person may have broached the subject with your superior before you and before your having said that you do or do not want an assistant, and, even worse, before you have discussed it with your superior. This would be an act of conniving and disloyalty which is a no-no, the kiss of death regarding the acceptance of this person as a formal assistant.

Also, your relationship would change if this person became your 'assistant' instead of a chorister who helps out occasionally. Both you and the person would naturally view your relationship in a more formal manner, one in which the person would have some degree of authority and status that exceeds his or her current status as a helpful choir member. You may or may not want to accept this.

Decide whether you want or need an assistant,
    whether you do or do not want this person to be that assistant
    and tell him or her your decision.
    That's all you need to do.
    In this as in all relationships, loyalty is of paramount importance.

I have known of instances wherein an incumbent returned home from a convention, etc., only to find that his or her assistant, or even an intern, had usurped his job - a coup de choeur as it were. The church, as we all know, is not immune to palace intrigue and backstairs plots. Loyalty is of the essence in all relationships.
  • Too soon, Stim.

:) OK, I'm just kidding! Incarbonation... kind of pops, doesn't it?
    Thanked by 1Carol
  • PaxMelodious
    The person's other options were to either find a director gig somewhere else (and so likely leave your place), to go behind your back subtely and try to get you forced out, or to bring it up officially. IMHO they've taken the best approach.

All musical directors should have someone who can step in at short notice (eg due to sickeness or family emergency), or cover annual leave. If you have someone officially in that role, they will have an easier time, and may be able to use it for their career development too. If it's unofficial, then time can be wasted on politics.
    Thanked by 2Carol Incardination
  • Carol
    It isn't totally clear whether CCooze was blindsided in front of the pastor, found out from the pastor or was told by the would be assistant after the offer was made to the pastor, or the would be assistant spoke to CCooze herself before speaking to the pastor. The way it came up speaks to MJO's comments about loyalty. It is also possible that it was a passing comment in a larger conversation and was an impulsive remark without premeditation. I have been guilty of these kinds of gaffs, because I am not that politically savy, I just like to be helpful. Context is really important here.
    Thanked by 1Incardination