Anton Bruckner at Mass
  • Schönbergian
    I have no issue with Bruckner's music at Mass; the shorter motets, at least. To me, he was an organist and church musician through and through, as well as a deeply devout Catholic, and, despite the obvious emotional content of his music, understood on both levels what sacred music demanded. I seem to be far less Cecilian than many here; that being said, I don't see the same charges of "inappropriateness" leveled at him here that are usually directed at Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, etc. For those of you that would balk at Mozart but accept Bruckner, what is the distinction for you?
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • as you said:

he was an organist and church musician through and through, as well as a deeply devout Catholic, and, despite the obvious emotional content of his music, understood on both levels what sacred music demanded.
  • Bruckner owes naught to the opera stage nor to the civic choral society.
    He understands the mystery of ritual
    and the essential otherness of the encounter that flows from it.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530
  • dad29
    So it's settled, then. Bruckner's E Minor Mass and Te Deum for the next Colloquium!!
  • CharlesW
    I'm fine with Bruckner and play/sing from the works of many composers for mass. I use everything from Stanley, to Franck, to Boellmann, to Dupre, and have even played some Sweelinck. All wrote some good music.

I tend to get comments from two sides. Either the purists who want only chant and nothing more, or the aged hippies who want Haugen/Haas. The purists I tell to shut up and the hippies to go to mass at St. Butthurt north of us. I can't tailor music to the interests of small groups who would alienate the majority.
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Carol
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    One of his earliest works, the Kronstorfer Mass, is great for Gaudete or Laetare Sunday. I hope to program it this year.
  • redsox1
    Locus iste and Christus factus est!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Christus factus est ... WAB 10 or WAB 11?

I'm guessing that the E Minor Mass and Te Deum suggestions were somewhat tongue in cheek? The Mass (with just 8 winds for accompaniment) was a nod to the Cecilianists and is marginally usable for liturgy ... at some 45-50 minutes performance time. The Te Deum is for big chorus and large orchestra, obviously intended for concert performance, and comes in at about 25-30 minutes performance time.

I've been a Bruckner advocate for over 60 years, since first discovering his music while a sophomore in high school ... treasuring the Hans Knappertsbusch recording of the 5th Symphony which my sister had bought, and then eventually acquiring recordings and full scores of all his symphonies (in the Nowack editions, as they were being released) and as many of his choral works as I could lay my hands on.

Anton Bruckner was, is, and will remain my favourite composer.

How could you not love a composer who is so appreciative of a performance of his work that he gives the conductor a gold piece and tells him "have a drink on me"?
  • Schönbergian
    I actually prefer his Psalm 150 setting to the Te Deum in a lot of ways - the middle section is far more lyrical than anything in the Te Deum and it's quite a bit more compressed, but it's very much the same character as that piece.

Both, obviously, are concert pieces. What I appreciate most about Bruckner is the very clear delineation between something intended for Mass and concert, something I also observe in Rheinberger and Franck.

• dad29
    You forgot the organ required for the Te Deum.

OK, then. How about his Ave Maria?
  • Schönbergian
    Which one? (Honest question)
  • Liam
    The difference, of course, is that Bruckner was from Upper Austria, and Mozart was from Salzburg.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • dad29
    8-part. Offhand I think it's in F major.

The Ps 150 is exactly as you said. But the Te Deum is in LATIN!! That should settle it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I know that this thread is about Bruckner, however, I have an observation regarding the "operatic" style of the Masses of the 18th and early 19th century.

I have been doing some research into the performance tradition of the Sistine Choir (prior to the pontificate of Pius X), and this has led to research into the castrato tradition (if that's the right word).

What that has led me to believe, is that the so-called "operatic" elements in the Masses of Mozart, Haydn, Cherubini, Vivaldi, et al., are really not "operatic" at all in themselves. The style is really what ought to be called "castrato style": the ornaments and expressive gestures are little more than the stock and trade of the castrati and those trained by them (both men and women). A perfect example is the Christe solo from Mozart's Great C minor Mass: the ornaments, particularly the large leaps, are almost right out of the singing tutors published by castrati. Some of the more florid ornaments are really no more than written-out versions of the kinds of divisions employed by chapel singers in the 16th and 17th centuries.

Could perhaps the anti-castrato mentality of the Caecilianist movement have had an effect on Bruckner and his style of ecclesiastical composition?
  • Schönbergian
    @dad29: Do you mean this one?

It's not the most Brucknerian piece (don't think there's a single instance of his signature cadence, for instance), but absolutely astounding nonetheless.

@Salieri: I would have to agree. I've found much that is Mozartian in the Masses (and possibly, by extension, that which is secularly derived), but not much evidence of an operatic link per se. They're just in a generic classical style with more emphasis on polyphony and fugue than you would see in a typical Mozart work for instruments alone.
    Your comments, gentlemen, reminds me of a discussion I heard on a recent episode of Harmonia or Sunday Baroque (I forget which) where they were discussing how the castrati were the 'rock stars' of their day, as much in admiration for their musical expertise as for their, ahem, escapades of a more intimate kind. Perhaps it was more than just the music ruffling the Caecilians' feathers.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    8-part. Offhand I think it's in F major.

Actually this Ave Maria is in 7-parts. It is often (this year in particular) sung (by all) at the close of the CMAA Sacred Music Colloquium. Indeed, I wonder if it has be come a necessary(?) tradition to sing it every year. Personally, I wouldn't elect to do this with such frequency, much as I love Bruckner and especially this work.
    Os Justi, then?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • dad29
    7, 8.....at my age, anything over 3 is hard to remember.

The Colloquia which I attended--back at Christendom College--didn't really have the necessary spread of singers to pull off that Bruckner. Another baritone and I wound up singing counter-tenor (not too well, in my case) to bolster the altos in (only) 4-part stuff. They probably haven't forgiven us to this day.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen igneus
  • Schönbergian
    Still my favourite, and the one which I will always hold to be of the highest quality, is Virga Jesse.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Virga Jesse is a masterpiece, deeply sacred, yet quite symphonic in scope and character. It was composed in 1885 just after Bruckner composed his 7th Symphony, and there are echoes of the symphony here and there in the motet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LPvoppqOLk

Also of exceedingly highest quality is Os justi, which is not quite as "symphonic" as Virga Jesse but more than makes up for it in its sense of the sacred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov-OAmpcRfw

• Schönbergian
    Os justi is like Palestrina's Sicut cervus in that it's just so pure and simple but so powerful at the same time. Deceptively simple-sounding counterpoint.
  • ghmus7
    Salieri, you should write an article on your research.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Bruckner at Mass? Sure, why not, if you have the forces to pull it off?

I'm hip-deep in the music of Eugeniusz Walkiewicz right now (which WILL be an article, when I collect enough information), and I had an insight about him, and about the better church music composers of the late 19th c (including Bruckner). The problem with most Caecilians was that they confused means with ends, and believed that one wrote sacred music by imitating music approved as sacred. The masters used Romantic means to Caecilian ends (beauty, non-drama, measure and decorum). That didn't exclude Renaissance means, by any means. Often in Walkiewicz one will find contrapuntally-driven "retrograde" (V-IV) progressions that show he knew his Lassus well, yet they're approached with chromatic passing-tones in a way Lassus wouldn't have done.
  • jefe
    I've had a love affair with Bruckner for as long as I can remember; maybe not as long as Giffen. As a bass trombonist in a major orchestra I've played all his symphonies and assorted other works, plus recording all the tunes mentioned above arranged for trombone choir . I'll load a few choral tunes that may have escaped your purvey. The Ave Maria was originally for alto soloist and men's chorus accompaniment, a cappella. I've also arranged it for trombones. The Salvum fac is unusual that it contains a lot of musical traits not associated with Bruckner at all including chanted sections; fauxbourdon; and polyphony, all unaccompanied. This is my edition to match our Compline notation. Am grabe is for men's chorus to be sung at a funeral mass. It works well with trombones. The music of great composers stands up well to transposition and transcription. As Quick has pointed out, "Sure, why not, if you have the forces to pull it off?" Because of the longish phrases, this works with a lot of voices. With trombones, one on a part gets the job done. jefe
    EDIT: the small arrows up or down on the trombone parts are my attempt at teaching the ins and outs of Just tuning for slip horn players.
  • tomjaw
    As we are discussing Bruckner, we sing his setting Locus Iste... Now does anyone know if this was written as a motet, or was it intended to be sung as a Proper?

For the last couple of years we have been singing this as the Gradual at an EF Mass, the problem is that it is missing the verse, which we sing as chant directly afterwards. We have plenty of pedants and they have not complained...
  • We have plenty...

If your pedants aren't screeching, I'd say that you are on solid ground.

(And, being a 'pedant' is one of the greatest compliments I have ever received!)
  • Being a pedant merely means, in my opinion, that one has found one's own 'niche' in life. According to Tommy Aquinas, coming to terms with such is a true sign of humility.