Prayers please
  • Few things.

Firstly, I'm learning how to serve at the Altar in the EF, and served my first Mass this past weekend. Please pray that I execute this office faithfully and properly.

Secondly, a very private intention. Details not appropriate at this time but it's extremely important.

Thank you for all the prayers you've provided and be assured of my prayers for all of you.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Precious Blood Novena right back at ya.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CharlesW
    Prayers, not that God EVER listens to me. ;-) But prayers for you anyway.
  • WGS
    I'm thinking of sixty some years ago when as a college student, I served my first Mass. It was just the priest and I and one female college student and half a dozen old ladies in babushkas. The Latin was no problem, but I think I rang the bells whenever the celebrant made a move.

Now, I just get to serve maybe once or twice a week, but it's like riding a bicycle. You never forget!

Always be thinking of what comes next, and just be graceful. Don't let yourself get flustered when you get something wrong or out of place.

In most cases, the celebrant will be pleased that you are available and willing to serve, so keep your eyes on him or on another more experienced server if there is one.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Praying for you. I started serving the year after they changed the Mass. Boy was I relieved! I wasn't sure I could memorize all the prayers the altar boys had to say!
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    You'll have to tell us sometime CO whether or not you find alter serving helps bring fresh perspective to your ministry as a church musician. (I think it does.)
  • @bhcordova I do love the prayers and to be honest, they're not the pain to memorize that I thought. There's such an underlying joy in memorizing/learning them.

After all, who could tire of hearing the Sacred words of the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar?

@StimsonInRehab Interesting you say that. I have never provided music for the EF before, so I actually have more firsthand experience in serving than providing music. However, it does give me a better sense of the sensitivity to timing needed in EF liturgies.

As a side note, I got enrolled in the Brown Scapular this evening. I'm very fortunate that I was able to be enrolled today, the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Our Lady of Mount Carmel, pray for us!