• If you are attending NPM, The Organist Quarterly series books will be on display on the GIA tables and also possibly with the VERDIN organs.

I had hoped to attend this year, but ended up with some scheduling conflicts that could not be moved.

Last year in Cincinnati was the first NPM I had attended and it was eye opening in many ways.

noel jones
  • francis
    eye opening
    tell us more...
  • When going to a convention one expects to see new and exciting things. NPM is pretty restricted to supporting its current fan base and that was eye opening.

No one was talking about the fantastic "__________" that they had seen. And I am talking about overall - products, music, presentations of new choral works.

This does make sense. Unlike a car show where you'd see new electric cars, cars that drove themselves, cars that could even fly if you could afford one, NPM exists to support the status quo rather than ruffle any feathers.

Chant materials were in evidence, more in some publishers than other, as expected.

OCP did not have armed guards strictly blocking entrance to their booth during their main presentation in the hall as, I am told, they did the year before - which was packed - the display floor emptied for this one. Instead, two teenagers were blocking entrance to the books and music in their display area. They had the largest display, as might be expected.

It was a pleasure to see other publisher's booths also full of people. GIA had Solesmes books and I bought a Liber Cantualis - Accompaniment while there.

It was a great pleasure to meet the people behind the St. Michael's Hymnal.

A goodly mix of pipe organ builders and digitals were there as well.

The free popcorn at the door was only popped and given out when the display hall opened first thing in the morning - which explains why I never got any free popcorn.
    Thanked by 3Carol WGS Earl_Grey
  • mmeladirectress
    >>> OCP did not have armed guards strictly blocking entrance to their booth during their main presentation in the hall as, I am told, they did the year before
    Oh!!

>> - which was packed -
    Oh. For a minute there, I thought there had been an uprising. ;-)
  • Was Mrs. Sanders present, or Mrs. Waters?
    Thanked by 1MNadalin
  • I am on my way to NPM now—it will be my first.

I also went to the Colloquium this year—it was my third. (Both of this year’s trips were paid for by my parish.)

I look at it this way: I went to the Colloquium to improve at the music I want to do, so that I can do it at my parish. I am going to NPM to see if it may help me improve at the music my congregation and choir want to do—as doing some of their preferred music gives me more leeway to push forward with what I want to do. (Also, I am visiting family and friends along the way, which has been most enjoyable.)

If I get nothing out of NPM, no biggie! But I am intent on learning from whatever sources I can. NPM deserves a shot.
    Thanked by 2Paul F. Ford Heath
  • Tin,

It's definitely worth the visit. I'd be there myself if it were not for a conflict that turned up - my wife is part of an annual Anglican-oriented music conference that she leaves for tomorrow for the week but we had a farm-sitter lined up until my plans were forced to the changed.

I think that you will be surprised, as I was.

And remember, the free popcorn is probably popped for the opening crowd each day.
    Thanked by 1TimTheEnchanter
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Noel's love of popcorn is the highlight of this thread.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    There's a (popped) kernel of truth in what matthewj says.
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • melofluentmelofluent
    But don't ever butter up Meloche with three olives in his bowl!
  • Tim...what about the popcorn?
  • If there is free popcorn, I have not seen or smelled it. We did have donuts this morning, though.
  • francis
  • With or without sprinkles?

Krispy Kreme?
  • Yes.

No.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Check out the free pen they gave you with your tote bag for a picture of my organ.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    a picture of my organ.

Huh? What?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    BAHAHAHA!!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    LOL. I hoped he wasn't tying to be romantic.

I know what he means and that is a fine instrument from all I can gather - the church organ, I mean.
  • I can confirm that there is a picture of a church organ on the pen, and it is the organ from Meloche’s cathedral. I will refrain from further comment lest I stumble into my own double entendres.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • It was safer sticking with the popcorn topic, wasn't it!
  • ghmus7
    There's no doubt that NPM has greatly improved in Many ways. While its a little disheartening to see that OCP is still so big, at least now there is much more support and people in attendance who are interested in choral chant and organ. I think mom tries to accommodate us, though I would like to see more.
  • ghmus7
    Oops NPM not mom...
    Tho I do take this opportunity to thank my mom.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Carol
    And hear I thought your "mom" was Holy Mother Church.
  • Liam
    Popcorn goes great in organs.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • So...you pour a little oil down a stopped metal pipe, then the popcorn, put the stop back in then heat the foot of the pipe with a blow torch.

After it stops popping, lift the pipe (away from the heated end) and turn it upside down, removing the stopper and filling bowls.

This would eventually destroy the pipe itself and chest itself, but, if you love pipe organs that much, go for it!

It takes all kinds.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • OCP is big because untrained musicians predominate in Catholic churches and OCP and the others feed their families by the hungry horde of buyers who are unable to choose and conduct and play traditional church music and don't even know it exists.

So their entire education is using throw-away melody only music with a newsletter from the company that publishes it telling them what to sing.

A Lutheran pastor asked me yesterday why there is no United States Catholic hymnal published by the church. He can't understand why.

Thanked by 3MarkB Carol CHGiffen
  • Liam
    "A Lutheran pastor asked me yesterday why there is no United States Catholic hymnal published by the church. He can't understand why."

Given what would likely be produced, that's probably cause for thanksgiving.

(And yes I am aware of a possible technical retort that the Roman Catholic church already has the Missale, Graduale(s) and Kyriale et cet..)

• Why do you feel that way?

• Kathy
    Oh I agree.

Not now. It would be a dog's breakfast.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Likely not ever.
    Continuing the analogy, the mongrel nature of blended societies used to be a valid archetype for the USofA. I believe that has seen its sunset. This now is a nation of nations that insists upon "celebrating" diversity and uniqueness at all costs. Fractionating ethnic sub-strata via identity politicking is now de rigeur, and it doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon.
    So, even asking for the "authentic" to be the determinant of the HRCC liturgical experience and its worship vehicles will likely prove an impossible task. We've been there, done that with the Snowbird Document and the Milwaukee Symposium experiments, and of late the Vat.II/Adoramus hymnal projects, all the while having ceded real power to consumer conglomerates like the big three.
    What torques CMAA and many other folk is that we're pretty sure we're sitting atop the collective wisdom of 1500 years' authentic practice that did work, and could work even better to come if embraced now. But now we have a lot of pretenders to the throne in their boudoirs ogling "Mirror, Mirror on the wall, WHO's the fairest one of all?"
  • Liam
    Stepping back from the demographic and cultural angles to a more publication-oriented cluster of angles:

1. There is the problem of copyright law/culture in its current form and its effect on sacred liturgical books. While the USCCB ostensibly (and to some extent actually) uses copyright to control content in the residual way the Roman Catholic church has tried to centrally control its liturgical books since the advent of printing, obviously there's a problem where it also becomes beholden to the large publisher gorillas, ostensibly non-profit. I would strongly prefer to wait for consideration of a national set of liturgical music books until the advent of visionary staff at the USCCB who also see this as a problem, one that can be changed by a culture of (1) commissioning works for a fee as work-for-hire (rather than a royalty/residuals model), and (2) publication under a Creative Commons approach.

2. As the traditional Roman ritual books have a Missal (Pontifical, for prelates), Kyriale, Gradual, et cet., the way sacred music for the Mass (OF) currently divides into:

a. - the presidential chants and dialogues (sources in Missal/Pontifical/books for specific rites)
    b. - the Ordinary (sources in Missal and in Kyriale; depending on language and period, a much vaster array of sources are also available)
    c. - the Responsorial Psalm - this is probably the key lack
    d. - (i) the other Propers (currently not widely used, and available in official and unofficial compendia); and (ii) hymnody that can substitute for propers or be sung before or at the end of Mass.

3. Considering the above, how should the scope of a "national hymnal" be structured? Should it presume the hard-copy distribution of a single book, or licensing of electronic modules that might be incorporated in different ways, or both? Et cet.

In any event, for meta-perspective: given how the USCCB responded to No. 132 of Liturgiam Authenticam*, post-deadline and with zero response from Rome in the many years following that (and, so far as I am aware, it may have been the only conference to bother responding to No. 132 anyway), a "national hymnal" is a much more complicated exercise to contemplate.

"132. Within five years from the date of publication of this Instruction, the Presidents of the Conferences of Bishops and the Supreme Moderators of religious families and institutes equivalent in law are bound to present to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments an integral plan regarding the liturgical books translated into the vernacular in their respective territories or institutes." Remember that? (I remember it because I sent annual emails to the BCL of the USSB about the status of this number after LA was issued. To deafening silence.)

Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • francis
    The US hymnal was tried by Rembert Weakland... I have a copy of the American Hymnal.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    It was a great pleasure to meet the people behind the St. Michael's Hymnal.

Oh, so you met Mrs. Schaefer, the Iron Lady! Was Mary S. with her as well?
  • An Ordinariate hymnal is 'in the works'.
    I think that Ordinariate folk will not be the only ones to use it!
    It is said that our Prelate wants it to be a missal and hymnal bound as one book.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen SarahJ
  • Stimsonrehab, yes, wonderful people creating a wonderful book.
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • American Hymnal - what year was that?
  • Why isn't there a national (American) hymnal?

That's simple. Contrary to the Pledge of Allegiance's claim, we're not (perhaps "no longer") ONE NATION, UNDER GOD.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    You do realize that was "One nation, indivisible" before the Presbyterians got to it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The final (successful) push to get "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance came from the Pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church which Lincoln had attended, after which it became customary for Presidents to attend services there on the Sunday closest to February 12 (Lincoln's birthday) and sit in Lincoln's pew. Eisenhower attended and sat in Lincoln's pew on February 7, 1954, and was moved by the sermon, in which it was suggested that "under God" ... a phrase originally from Lincoln's Gettysburg Address ... should be a part of the Pledge of Allegiance. Eisenhower was enthusiastic about the idea and set the ball rolling the next day, getting a member of Congress to introduce the appropriate bill, which passed and was signed into law on Flag Day, June 14, 1954.

However, the idea of adding the phrase went back several years before, with involvement by the Sons of the American Revolution and the Daughters of the American Revolution, already by 1948. For Catholics, it is relevant that the Knights of Columbus began incorporating "under God" into the pledge in 1951 and officially urged, in 1952, that the phrase be officially and universally added into the Pledge of Allegiance.

So ... did the K of C get to the pledge before the Presbyterians?