Locating Chants
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    I'm wondering how to locate chants? For example, in the Mundelein Psalter, the hymn O Blest Creator of the Light is set to a chant I don't recognize. Is it from the Liber Hymnarius? Or what? Is there an index or search that makes it possible to find chants in situations like this?

Here's the chant I'm trying to find right now.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Does this site give you what you want? It does need a better ear than I have, but I am just an untrained amateur.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    Thanks that is exactly what I was looking for! Unfortunately, the chant I'm looking for right now wasn't in their database. I have the music, so I don't have to rely on my ear. I'll attach the music to see if anyone recognizes it.
    556 x 973 - 136K
  • JonLaird
    It's there -- here's the link:
    http://www.globalchant.org/view-source.php?src=Lu&page=257

It is one of the melodies for Lucis Creator optime, the hymn of which "O Blest Creator" is a translation. You'll find it in the Liber Usualis p 257 (following the same text to a different melody).
    The Liber Hymnarius does have Lucis Creator, but with the other melody. The Antiphonale Monasticum has the text to the first melody and to a different one, but not to the one that you offer.

The text is traditionally a Sunday II Vespers hymn. In the post-Vatican II office it is for Sunday Vespers, weeks I & III.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It's in the Liber Usualis 1961, pp. 257-8.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    This is a Gregorian chant hymn, to be found in the Liber Usualis 1961, p. 257, or the Antiphonale Romanum 1960, p. 49.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Also, Hymnarium Cisterciense, Westmalle, 1909, p. 13. See this Gregobase entry.
    Thanked by 1avscvlta
  • tomjaw
    I see the Antiphonale Romanum 1949 has an error that also appears in the 1960 printing!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen avscvlta
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is the Gregobase page for the transcription of the LU 1961, pp 257-8, entry. PDF, GABC, PNG, EPS downloads available.
    Thanked by 2avscvlta tomjaw
  • avscvltaavscvlta
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! All three of you have been so helpful!

I will just add here the LOH accompaniments:
    Lucis Creator optime page 1
    Lucis Creator optime page 2
  • igneusigneus
    @avscvlta btw. I love your "Benedictine" nick :)