ICEL website suspended?
  • MarkB
    http://www.icelweb.org

That's really weird and unfortunate. Anyone with connections able to let them know, if they don't already?

I wanted to access some music there.
  • Liam
    Someone probably neglected to update the credit card...

or perhaps the USCCB copyright police did it
  • chonakchonak
    I've sent Msgr. Wadsworth a note to make sure he's aware of this. Thanks for mentioning it.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Obviously not enough of us paid for the "rights" to compose music for the newest and improved, better than the last one and better than the one before it, which was thought to be the be all and end all but wasn't Mass text, making it impossible to keep the lights on.

Why not let the monks who did the Grail do it instead? Instead of a committee.

Or the Coverdale? They're all dead? And people still use their translation? How is that possible? We all have to have new cars every couple of years and new Mass translation to keep the economy going.

Do many of us recall when priests drove black cars? That, too, went out with the Latin.
  • francis
    I don't concern myself with English.
  • rollingrj
    I wonder if it is related to the problems they had about this time last year. (Sorry, I couldn't link to the relevant discussion.)
  • MarkB
    I don't concern myself with English.

Francis, even if you don't, interjecting that you don't when it isn't necessary nor relevant to say so makes you come across as a prig. Whether you like it or not, the vernacular and the OF are valid for Catholic worship. That's all I will say on the matter in this thread, as I won't be trolled nor drawn down a rabbit hole by someone with an axe to grind.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian
  • Wow, someone telling Francis how to act!

I don't think that axes are ground in rabbit holes - their grinding and use is always above ground.

If one were to drop into an equal number of OF and EF Masses in the usa and rate them for the quality of the worship, including the music, the demeanor of those involved and such, you'd see that the NO is sadly sad in most places.

First, you must remember that the NO is NOT an English Mass, it is a Latin Mass that has been translated, translated and translated again, leaving people marooned and with the options of the rite, uncomfortable. Add to it the wide variations - just yesterday reading of a new priest who dropped the acclamation and had people CLAP instead, and you have a disgruntled, confused and rapidly leaving the fold people.

The modified NO Mass is partly to blame as it is more "down to earth" leaving out gestures and the "Hocus Pocus" so criticized by Anti-Catholics of the Latin Mass.

But when did the MAss become about earthly things? Being greeted, imitating the gestures of the priest in the holy act of saying the Mass and so on.

It has little to do with being in English and all about bad planning and execution of a plan. All typical human faults, which is what Francis is talking about.

And that's why people go to the TLM Mass, even if it is hard to find, scheduled at strange times and populated by a very few people who can be difficult. (the Shushers, I believe that they are called)

"Prig?" If so, I hope that I am also one.

I can see shirts:

I'm a Prig and am Proud

I'm Priggish - it's not just a British Thing anymore.

• CharlesW
    Francis a Prig? I thought he was Charismatic.
  • dad29
    Well, I don't much concern myself with the English, either. One of them we defeated in that little skirmish in the 1770's....and the other is constantly in a state of flux making purchase of missals ......well......
  • [Um.... wow, Noel. I haven't seen that side of you.]

Dad,

Avoiding the rabbit hole where the axe-grinding takes place, let me add only this: Archbishop Bugnini accepted that the Mass should remain in Latin until he came up with a strange notion: that the addressee should be able to understand what is said to him. I say it's a strange notion because it presumes that the vernacular of the assembled congregation is the language of the addressee, and thus that the Mass is addressed to the congregation instead of offered to God. Many beautiful works have been composed in English. Many beautiful works use texts translated from Latin. ICEL's translations don't frequently qualify as beautiful even when they do qualify as accurate, so if no one takes an interest in the ICEL copyrighted text, this should, surely, be taken as a sign of one of two things: 1) people are using the text without using the website; 2) people are using languages other than ICEL-ized English, possibly choosing Latin instead. In either case, the data point is (or should be) of interest to those who prepare the text.

Charles,

He might be charismatic, but I've never had the privilege of shaking his hand.

On the other hand, given that he prefers the Latin to the English, could we just call him rigid or a neo-Pelagian or something?

• CharlesW

He might be charismatic, but I've never had the privilege of shaking his hand.

He is actually a very talented musician and composer.
  • francis
    the NO is sadly sad
    my next T-shirt design thanks to Noel

btw... I participated in the charismatic movement years and years ago, and knew some very very fine people who are lifelong friends and true brothers and sisters in Christ. Haven't been involved with that movement for a long long time. Mainly interested in the traditional liturgy (including excellent sacred music... which is the GC chant, polyphony and organ music) and the rosary.

If you wish to label me a prig just by saying I am not interested in English liturgies, I guess that is your prerogative. I would never call anyone a prig or give anyone any other label... ever. We are all learning and advancing in wisdom and knowledge, and hopefully, holiness. Just stating my particular position on the subject. God bless you.

btw2... I don't concern myself with English mainly in composing... (should have made that more clear in my comment.) That is because of the reasons Noel has elucidated upon... it's the most unstable translation of the Latin to ever exist... and probably will always be so because the proponents of English publishing (ICEL and the like) are trying to put (and keep) their lights on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLAT9nbQgI
    616 x 794 - 50K
    Thanked by 1Incardination
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, posting a comment just to draw attention to one's personal opinions, in a purely technical thread where they are not relevant, is a way to draw negative attention to oneself.
  • Ted
    The site is working today. However, finding the page for downloadable liturgical music is not easy. Here it is:

http://icelweb.org/musicfolder/openmusic.php
  • rollingrj
    However, finding the page for downloadable liturgical music is not easy.

That is the most odd feature of their website, IMVHO. The items a musician most wants are the most difficult to find.
  • chonakchonak
    I'll add the link to the "resources" list at the main CMAA site; it's under "More English chant resources" as "Chants of the Roman Missal Third Edition".
  • The items a musician most wants are the most difficult to find.

not sure if bug or feature
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    I suppose that it's news that I was able to access the site a few minutes ago?

• a_f_hawkins
    Yeah, they fixed it when they got in to work after the weekend.
    Meanwhile the CMAA page is still soliciting enrollment for the 2018 Colloquium.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Sorry to be snarky, but I love irony.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsNd5YarWo
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    Meanwhile the CMAA page is still soliciting enrollment for the 2018 Colloquium.

That's intentional: it's marketing for next year: if people come to the site, having heard of the colloquium from a video or a blog post, they can learn about what the Colloquium is and what they missed.
    Thanked by 2Carol CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    It's sometimes said there's no such thing as bad publicity, but I imagine as a newcomer I would find it rather reassuring if there were a line about the next year's information being announced in late Winter, and it wouldn't even require the effort of a second yearly update to add.