Gregorian chant Introit for "There was a man of venerable life..." for St. Benedict
  • Does anyone know the Intoit for Mas for St. Benedict? I found only what is attached - "Os Justi", and apparently, it's not the one... The communion chant is correct though.

Can anyone help? If it's only available in English, I will take that.

Thank you in advance!
  • Os Iusti (Abbots) is what is in the Liber Usualis for St. Benedict on March 21.
    1126 x 315 - 31K
  • Here's the Introit (Institute of Christ the King here: http://www.institute-christ-king.org/uploads/music/Common/MassAbbot_lg.pdf)

713 x 679 - 98K
    Thanked by 1puretonesoprano
  • So, I'm told it starts with “There was a man of venerable life …” but in Latin...
  • I found the Os Justi, but the words are not the same...
  • Are you, perhaps, looking at the wrong Mass for St. Benedict? I have one on July 11th, which has the Introit

Faciem te in gentem magnam. I don't see anything the equivalent of "There was a man of venerable life" anywhere in the propers for this feast, but there may be another one somewhere.

There is, for example, a proper Mass for the Feast of St. Francis de Sales.

• CharlesSA
    The fuit vir one, if it is in any graduals at all, will be in the "some congregations and religious houses" or whatever that category is. Clear Creek has it in their graduals, as well as a whole proper Mass for him as a supplement to the 1962 Missal. As far as I know, it is only used in those places which celebrate the feast as a solemnity - i.e. in Benedictine monasteries who have St. Benedict as their patron. Otherwise, at least according to the 1962 Missal, it is celebrated as a III Class feast (or previously a greater Double) everywhere else, in which the Common of Abbots is used.

On second thought, if I'm recalling correctly - it actually might be a Mass proper to the Solesmes congregation. Meaning, I am remembering another section in the back of the graduale which was an insert for monasteries of the Solesmes congregation. In which case, you probably would not find it at all in the Graduale Romanum.
  • I was approved to use the Os Justi...

However, now I'm looking for the translation to the Offertory chant: "Desiderium Animae ejus". Does anyone have a translation in English for this chant? If not, where can I find it?
    Thank you again!!
  • From CPDL:
    Thou hast given him the desire of his soul, O Lord,
    And the longing of his lips will not withheld from him.
    For Thou hast gone before him with blessings of sweetness:
    Thou hast set on his head a crown of precious stones.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Fr. Columba Kelly has it in his entrance chant book.
  • tomjaw
    In the Roman rite the Propers of St. Benedict (21 March) are taken from the common of Holy Abbots...

The Benedictines have other Feasts,
    Dec. 4 Illation (another feast used in France not in my Graduale supplement, the Propers can be found in one of the online Graduale / Supplements but I think use the Propers listed below)

March 21st Transitus SPN Benedicti Abbatis
    INT. Gaudeamus *
    Grad. Domine praevenisti
    Tract. Beatos vir
    Seq. Laeta quies / Laeta dies *
    Off. Desiderium
    Com. Fidelis servus

June 11 (2nd Sunday of June) Solemnity of St. Benedict
    INT. Faciam te *
    Grad. Domine praevenisti
    All. Vir Dei Benedictus*
    Seq. Laeta quies / Laeta dies *
    Off. Tamquam lignum *
    Comm. Benedictionem omnium *

Octave day of the Solemnity
    INT. Vir Dei Benedictus*
    Grad. Domine praevenisti
    All. Vir Dei Benedictus*
    Seq. Laeta quies / Laeta dies
    Off. In virtute tua.
    Com. Amen dico vobis

Votive Mass
    INT. Vir Dei Benedictus*
    Grad. Domine praevenisti
    Tract. Beatos vir
    All. Vir Dei Benedictus*
    All. beatus vir
    All. Justus et Palma / Justus germinabit
    Seq. Laeta quies / Laeta dies
    Off. In virtute tua.
    Com. Amen dico vobis

Propers with * are found in the Benedictine supplement
  • Thank you ALL for your help! I really appreciate it!