• deo27
    Please share.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    What do you mean by "new" Alleluia?
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • PaxTecum
    Check out the graduale simplex there’s some cool and useful stuff in there
  • Deo,

I second Charles' puzzlement. Which of the following best describes the situation:

a) You've been using the same (modern) Alleluia for a really long time and want to use another (also modern ) Alleluia.

b) You're thinking of composing a setting of the text "Alleluia".

c) You're persuaded that "Alleluia" is too anglicized a version of the words, and that Hillel Yahweh should take its place, or something similar.

d) You'd like to use some chant, and don't know where to start.

e) something else entirely
  • Whatever alleluia one uses, new or old, I hope that if it is for the mass it will be a single one sporting a lovely jubilus - in other words, that it will be a real mass alleluia.
    We've had quite enough of those cute happy-clappy triple alleluias.
  • Andrew_Malton
    For example the Simplex has some austere responsorial triple Alleluias.

The Simplex provides typically two verses instead of the one in the Lectionary, so that the word Alleluia is sung a total of twelve times, repetitio iuvans. Also we have found this covers the Gospel procession quite well.

Furthermore, for the adventurous, the Simplex contains numerous "Alleluia psalms": chanted with many verses punctuated by alternating responsorial Alleluias. Quite different (hence adventurous) from your normal "Gospel Acclamation" , and requiring some participatory attention by the faithful (!), but giving a sense of occasion to the coming Gospel reading, quite the equal of the jubilus.

There are also some double Alleluias for those who find the triple too cute or happy clappy.
    Thanked by 1smvanroode
  • a_f_hawkins
    The triple alleluias in GS are repurposed antiphons from the Office in Paschaltide. (see LU p239 or p280 for examples). Paschaltide may be upbeat but I doubt traditional Terce often came across as happy clappy.
  • deo27
    I am looking for something sturdy. We have been using the common Chant Mode VI for a while. Not opposed to gregorian or modern (Festival Alleluia-Chepponis) type.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The refrain from O filii et filiae.
    [EDIT] which is approaching happy clappy.
  • a_f_hawkins
    we have found this covers the Gospel procession quite well
    Andrew Malton :- What does your gospel procession entail, and when do you start the singing?
  • canadashcanadash
    There are a couple in the St. Michael's hymnal that are nice. Check that one out.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Agreeing with canadash--take a look through the Alleluias found in the St. Michael Hymnal and let us know what you think.

The Taize (in D minor) is sturdy and also found in GIA hymnals, for example.
  • Andrew_Malton
    @a_f_hawkins, well, this is how it is; your mileage may vary.

The priest's chair is on the Gospel side, that is, the left side when facing the altar from the nave. The ambo is on the Epistle side. Two servers with candles, and the thurifer, go stand essentially behind the (central) altar. After the silence after the Second Reading, the priest stands, and then the cantor begins the first Alleluias. The priest goes to the altar, takes the Gospel Book from it, and follows the three servers to the ambo, where they are arrange themselves around it, a light on each side and the priest or deacon behind. At this point we have sung twelve Alleluias and two psalm verses, and the priest is ready to say (rarely sing) the The Lord Be With You.

When the a deacon is reading, the cantor sings a little slower because of the blessing May The Lord Be In Your Heart.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Bobby Bolin
    I really like some of the WLP Gospel Acclamations: James Gerrish and Robert Twynham
    Thanked by 1PolskaPiano
  • PaxTecum
    @Bobby ... they are nice! I use them sometimes with the choir and we chant the verse SATB. Not bad.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I've recently been thinking that the mode 2 Alleluia + jubilus should be incredibly easy for a parish to adopt. And since it is the default for a good number of feast days, it will be readily recognizable.
  • It seems that many don't mind at all the cute little triple alleluias, most of which could fairly be labelled 'happy-clappy', and a few 'half-decent'. Some are borrowed from the office, most aren't. But none of them, decent or not, are alleluias for the mass, alleluias which are characterised by their singleness and their jubilus. Properly speaking, a triple alleluia at mass is unique to the Easter Vigil, where it mirrors in triumph the triple Ecce lignum of Good Friday. What a shame that this unique lesson and relationship is being lost to posterity.

It would be just as easy to teach the people an alleluia from the Graduale, such as Cooze recommends just above here; but, for some queer reason there seems to be an aversion to them, or an irrational conviction that 'the people' could never learn them, or the equally irrational and lame surrender to what might seem to be the irreformable inheritance from a (yet another) false 'Vatican Two' praxis that cannot be rectified. It can! All it takes is desire, catechesis, and pedagogy.
  • rich_enough
    Three of the simpler alleluias-cum-jubili are are in the Parish Book of Chant (2nd ed.), nos. 149-151.

There's also a Lenten gospel acclamation in Latin ("Laus tibi Christe . . .") at no. 7.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • PaxTecum
  • Andrew_Malton
    Same. The acceptability A of a melisma is subject to exponential decay at about λ = 0.4. In practice A vanishes after about 8 or 9 notes.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If I used an alleluia with a jubilus I think I would get fired

Even if you didn't use the jubilus, it would still be lovely, more authentic, and to the point.
    You could always add the jubilus only after the verse, not unlike the way descents are added on the final time through.

Seriously, something like the mode 2 Alleluia could NOT be more difficult (or surprising) to figure out than the "Allelu-allelu-allelu-alleluia" that I heard during our Florida vacation at Pentecost.
  • KyleM18
    Personally, I'd try the "Anglican Use" Alleluia with jubilus. The one in the Anglican Use Gradual. I do it in the key of A, and it sounds awesomely festive!

If you can't do the single with jubilus, I'd go with the triple chant one from the Graduale Simplex, Ordinary Time Mass IV. If you don't want chant, either the Twynham (transposed down to D) or the Murray.
  • If I used an alleluia with a jubilus I think I would get fired

Surprising clergy will, sometimes, have that effect. IF you discussed it with him first, might you get a more mature, Catholic response?
  • Kyle's suggestion is sterling.
    The alleluya in the Anglican Use Gradual is so easy that no one could fail to learn it by singing it two times. It would be splendid for beginners. We sing it every Sunday at Walsingham, except when we sing one of the easier ones from the Roman Gradual.
  • PaxTecum
    Thanked by 2eft94530 irishtenor
  • Settefrati,

I can believe it, but you certainly would have a more aggressively negative response if you had surprised him than if you had asked. People who like to control things (i.e., not just any priest, and certainly not ONLY priests) like to be asked.

Have you asked him to help you understand (i.e., don't ask him to explain) why Chant and Latin are banned?
  • PaxTecum
    Thanked by 1irishtenor
  • MNadalin
    The A. Gregory Murray with psalm tone VIII is tried and true, and it's a good combination of "accessible" and fairly dignified.
  • SalieriSalieri
    What I have cobbled together is this:

Sundays of O.T. & Advent: the Melismatic mode II Alleluia from PBC2. The cantor(s) intone up to *, then the intonation is repeated by all up to *. The verse is then sung to the solemn Mode II office tone (as at Magnificat/Benedictus) with an optional melisma from the Sarum Office on the final syllable of the verse (occasionally if the first half of the verse is long enough, instead of the psalm-tone intonation, I use the proper intonation of the verses associated with this alleluia in the Gradual). The Alleluia is then repeated by all up to *, and the jubilus is sung by the cantor(s) or choir.

Weekdays of O.T. & Advent: The same Alleluia as above, but omitting the Jubilus, and using the simple office tone for the verse.

Eastertide and Solemnities/Feasts which replace Sundays: The D major Alleluia by Healey Willan in his Introits and Graduals for the Church Year. Alleluia is sung by cantor(s), repeated by all; verse by cantor; Alleluia repeated by all. On Sundays I play an organ introduction before the intonation.

At the Saturday Evening Dinner-reservation Low-ish Mass: The standard Mode VI alleluia: Intoned by cantor, repeated by cantor, verse sung recto tono by cantor as quickly as possible, alleluia repeated by cantor.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • We have been using the mode 6 Alleluia from the Anglican Use Gradual with the cantor intoning the Alleluia and jubilus, the congregation repeating it, cantor singing the verse to a psalm tone and ending with the jubilus, and the congregation repeating the Alleluia with jubilus at the end. It works quite well.

Can anyone suggest particular relatively simple Alleluias with jubilus that might lend themselves to similar use other than the several in the Parish Book of Chant?
  • I really like Dom Gregory Murray's Alleluia (as long as it's not overused) to which I've added a little descant:
  • Here’s a demo of my “Alleluia Peregrinus”. I’d be happy to post it here tomorrow if you’d like it. https://youtu.be/H9xmEdped40 (Good for penitential seasons and funerals.)

And here’s my Alleluia Sancte Jacobe https://youtu.be/2feKtslxnJQ Based on a chant in honor of St. James.

And lastly here’s my ‘Alleluia IV’ which is chant-esque in its conception. https://youtu.be/78ENhszfj8g

I have a few more that aren’t on YT if you’d like me to keep digging.
    Thanked by 1DavidOLGC
  • francis
    I am going to use IV with our school with your permission. Sounds very renaissance. Nice
  • Funny you should come to this conclusion, Francis, as I wrote it for our school masses in a simplified form originally, and then fleshed it out to SATB for the whole parish because it worked so well. It’s also good and quick, which makes it ideal for daily masses. I’ll try and remember to upload a file for you once I get into the office.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • I'm not sure what the deal is, but the forum is not permitting me to upload the PDF at the moment... I've tried two different browsers and renamed the file just in case a special character was causing a glitch... but no dice.

For the moment, I have it posted on my website now (albeit for $3.50): https://psallitedomino.com/store-1/p/alleluia-iv
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    Most uploading problems are related to the file name.

When uploading, please check that the file name contains no spaces, and no punctuation except underscore, hyphen, and one period (at the end: .pdf).
  • Thanks, Chonak. I accidentally discovered this very thing about a week ago but had forgotten about this thread.

Francis, here you go.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • lmassery
    Can someone link to this “mode ii” alleluia you’re all talking about? I don’t know which one you’re referring to.

Also, is there an accompaniment to the Anglican use alleluia somewhere?
  • I presume It’s option 4 (#149) on page 141 of the PBC.
  • lmassery
    O right, I do know that one
  • lmassery
    Well I made my own accompanied version of the Anglican Use Alleluia. You can cue and paste the melody line for assemblies. The verse could be sung SATB
  • This is fascinating! I’ve never come across this “Anglican use Alleluia” before, but it is essentially the same as what I derived from the sanctus of the Missa de angelis. It’s so funny that I would have the same idea (in essence) as this piece.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/20571/free-score-alleluia-de-angelis/p1
  • For most of the church year, Ted Marier's #92 in Hymns , Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles. The great French organist, Thomas Ospital has composed a mass for congregational singing. His "alleluia" is graceful and interesting.
  • Joseph,

What mass setting is this, and where can it be found!?
  • I presume he means this one.
  • davido
    Ew, that’s just Celtic alleluia in French
  • GerardH
    This is fascinating! I’ve never come across this “Anglican use Alleluia” before, but it is essentially the same as what I derived from the sanctus of the Missa de angelis. It’s so funny that I would have the same idea (in essence) as this piece.

That would explain its origin. I have wondered whence the "Anglican Use Alleluia" came for a long time. I like that it uses the authentic Gregorian format of single Alleluia with jubilus. In many ways it is a shame that the Gregorian Alleluias for Ordinary Sundays don't all use the same tone. As they currently stand they are prohibitive to even above-average congregations.
  • That would explain its origin.
    No doubt! Really, the only difference is that I added an extra alleluia in between the two phrases of the Anglican Use version.

Just goes to show, however, what excellent fodder ancient chants are for recycling within the novus ordo.