Mass in Pittsburgh
  • ViolaViola
    Very excited to be making my first ever trip to the USA for a family wedding in July. We'll be in Pittsburgh; where should we go to Mass to hear good music enhancing the lliturgy?
    Thanks in anticipation.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Go to the Cathedral of St. Paul. Pretty good NO liturgies. Fabulous space.
    Thanked by 3Viola canadash CharlesW
  • canadashcanadash
    This place is very cool if you have a moment. I second the Cathedral. Gorgeous!

https://saintanthonyschapel.org/
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Viola
  • CharlesW
    I have only been to the Byzantine cathedral. Will have to check out St. Paul next time I am there.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The pews at the Cathedral of St. Paul are the nicest I've ever seen - and that's just stating one little fact about how great the building is.
    Thanked by 2Viola BruceL
  • ELapisardi
    In addition to St. Paul Cathedral, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Carnegie has a good traditionally-minded music program-- just make sure you go to the 11:30 Sunday Mass, as the music varies markedly depending on which Mass you attend there. St. Bernard in Mt. Lebanon is a beautiful church with a strong music program also. Both of these are Pittsburgh suburbs, but could be close depending on which part of the city you'll be in.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Viola
  • JL
    Also, pop into the Pittsburgh Oratory (not far from St. Paul's) for good, strong preaching and nice people--and you can venerate Bl. J.H. Newman's cassock.
    Thanked by 3CharlesW Viola BruceL
  • ViolaViola
    How did Cardinal Newman's cassock get there????
    Thanks for advice. Apparently we will be in the vicinity of a museum called the old mattress factory (the mind boggles)....
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I played a gig there once, many many years ago. Big old brick factory with a freight elevator. Dodgy neighborhood at that time; might be better now.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • JL
    In that case, you're also close to the National Aviary, which is definitely worth a visit. And if you do go to St. Paul's in Oakland, pop into the public library/science museum/art museum/concert hall complex--or just admire the life-size statue of a diplodocus in front of it.
    Thanked by 2Viola BruceL
  • ViolaViola
    Thanks for comments and advice. We attended Mass at the cathedral yesterday and though the choir was not singing that day we enjoyed the liturgy and sense of reverence. I have taken notes for our pp! Lovely building.
    And we visited the aviary and the botanic gardens and the diplodocus (the poor creature was wearing a gay pride scarf for some reason). Flying back via Paris this afternoon, but we hope to come again.

Ps does anyone know what was played at st Paul’s yesterday before and after Mass?
    Thanks!
  • ViolaViola
    I mean the 12 o clock Mass
  • CatholicZ09
    I’m glad you got to attend Mass at St. Paul Cathedral. I go there from time to time and love the traditional nature of the liturgies.
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ViolaViola
    We were impressed by the reverence shown by the congregation. we arrived about a quarter of an hour early and people were in the pews praying silently, not chatting at the back as they do in our place, sadly.