Discussing Concerns with new-ish Pastor, without creating SheepAttack
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Liam
    This is simpler than you realize and you already have part of the answer here:

1. You are not the pastor, and he is not your wayward curate.

2. You don't actually know that something needs to be done, because you don't what it is, or how. And unless people have somewhere else to go, collapse is less likely than loss of good energy, and miasma setting in.

Thanked by 2Salieri CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thank you, Liam. Sometimes it just takes someone who is completely outside of the situation to see the solution.
  • Liam
    Can't tell if you were being ... ironic, but I was serious, not snarky. People need to take responsibility for communicating their issues with the pastor to the pastor; for them to try to deputize you as their advocate is a form of injustice to you. If he's demonstrated a pattern of blowing his flock off, then to the vicar forane or regional bishop, if any, though that's really something that doesn't have traction with the kinds of things you've listed.
  • People do need to talk directly with the new pastor.

If he is not responsive, they then need to meet directly with the Bishop - telephone calls to a chancery may be pretty much a waste of time 'cause things get "filtered" before they get to him.

The bishop KNOWS that giving has dropped in the parish and possibly putting this guy there may be a move to close the parish down.
  • Noel,

I didn't get the sense that giving was down before this pastor arrived, but that it had dropped because of this pastor. Did I misunderstand?
  • SalieriSalieri
  • toddevoss
    Quite frankly with such a massive drop in attendance, I am surprised he hasn't asked someone "why do you think this is happening" (and you would be a good candidate since you have had a leading role in the parish for many years). If he does ask you, I would just be honest about what you have heard.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • I have noticed a trend among younger priests--no matter where they went to seminary--to stretch the homily longer than it should. This, in spite of admonitions to the contrary by Pope Francis and several bishops. I have no objections to a long homily as long as it says something. Having a captive audience must be tempting!

As for the extra commentary and joking around, there is no place for this.

Salieri, the fact that your pastor is making the effort to learn the Latin Mass is impressive. Maybe, that is a starting point for you to have an honest discussion with him.
  • SalieriSalieri
  • Chaswjd
    Over at pray tell there is a series of one minute homilies. Perhaps they could be of inspiration.
  • CharlesW
    I have had pretty good success at keeping the administration believing they need me more than I need them. So far, (20 years) it has worked to my advantage. We have had exemplary priests which has made a difference, too. I am always perturbed when I read the horror stories some post here. Definite prayers for you folks.
  • KARU27
    Well, if it was filmed for the TV Mass, then lots of people will see it, right? And there'll be lots of people complaining to the bishop? Don't you think this pastor will be shuffled off to Buffalo in short order?
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Having dealt with a somewhat similar situation for the past two years, my recommendation is to back away as much as possible. Do not encourage others to share their concerns with you. In fact, avoid situations where you might be "intercepted." For me that has meant continuing to perform my assignments while keeping a low profile. If people begin to talk about their concerns, listen but be non-committal. If necessary, walk away from the conversations. Find another focus for your energy and time. Be cordial and polite to your priest and avoid confrontation with him. For me, that means working in church office at odd hours and scheduling rehearsals when he will be involved in other matters. I retired from teaching two years ago and my goal was to devote more time to church and music. After two years, I accepted the fact that all I could was provide the best music possible, be polite, and be inconspicuous. Let others be responsible for speaking out or complaining. If they complain behind priest's back to you, they could very likely be talking behind your back as well. Liam offers excellent advise. I have returned to a full-time teaching position and while much more invisible at church have seen growth in parish choir. I accept the fact that at least for the foreseeable future liturgies are going to be haphazard and hackneyed. The only thing I can do is provide the best music possible and pray.
  • We all know that our most troubling adversaries can be those aligned to “our” side of the liturgical divide. As an example, many Latin Mass Catholics were recently upset by Fr. Z’s unqualified infatuation with Donald Trump and felt such praise does the cause more harm than good. More personal and local, the biggest mistake of my career was accepting a parish MD position offer from a priest who touted Theodore Marier’s hymnal as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Little did I realize that his admiration would not extend to liturgical praxis.

The public speaking virus that infects so many priests, as detailed by Salieri above, has reached a pandemic stage - at least in the Northeast. So few Catholic homilists seem to know how to home in on a single point and tie all thoughts to it. Is it that the priest shortage causes seminary admission directors to overlook the need for attracting people with the capacity for critical thought?

Though my words may seem to indicate otherwise, I try to be understanding. I’ve written for homily services and know how difficult it is to write something concise and meaningful week after week. Public speaking is not something most of us are born to do. Great preaching is a gift that can’t be easily taught and we shouldn’t expect every parish priest to be a John Henry Newman or a Fulton Sheen. But we should expect that seminary candidates know basic grammar, rules for composing a cohesive paragraph and common mistakes of speech. (The nonsensical “anyways” is so common in my locale that my fingernail marks are immortalized on organ benches throughout the Boston Archdiocese.)

Not knowing when to shut up of course appears to be a fundamental nationwide complaint. We all perhaps need to reflect and work on that, but in the seminary it needs special emphasis or at least a nod to the wisdom of St. Francis that to preach is not necessarily to use words.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck
  • shuffled off to Buffalo

Excuse me! It's a very tastefully decorated cesspool, thank you very much, and I miss many aspects of life in that part of the world, where I grew up.
    Thanked by 1cesarfranck