Fr Columba Kelly, OSB, R.I.P.
  • Fr Columba Kelly, Benedictine monk of St Meinrad Abbey and American Chant scholar has died. He counted many among his students, including Adam Bartlett. His presence will be missed as he was one of the last chant scholars whose work and influence stretched from before Vatican II to the present day.
  • Requiescat in pace.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia
  • GambaGamba
    “Euge serve bone, et fidelis: quia super pauca fuisti fidelis, super multa te constituam; intra in gaudium domini tui.”
  • Caleferink
    Well done, good and faithful servant.
  • rogue63
    Réquiem aeternam dona eum, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eum.
  • francis
    Requiescat in pace.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Lux æterna luceat eis, Domine:
    Cum Sanctis tuis in æternum: quia pius es.
    Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine: et lux perpetua luceat eis.
    Cum Sanctis tuis in æternum: quia pius es.
  • stulte
    May God rest him.
  • I am sad.
    I have lost a friend, a scholar, and a great teacher.
    May he rest in peace, and may light perpetual shine upon him and all the faithful departed.
  • made me feel like an old friend. I am sadder than I thought I would be.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Anima éjus et ánimæ ómnium fidélium defunctórum, per misericórdiam Déi requiéscant in páce.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Grant him eternal rest, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Fr Columba Kelly, Benedictine monk of St Meinrad Abbey and American Chant scholar has died.

Jeffrey, do you have an obit or some sort of announcement.
  • Cantus67- As far as I know, there has been no obit yet. I heard just an hour or so after his passing from someone connected to the community.
  • CharlesW
    May his memory be eternal.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Obit on Pray Tell

Fr Columba was such a gentle, thoughtful, dedicated soul! I'll put him on the prayer list tonight.
    Thanked by 1madorganist
  • Unfortunately, but understandably, he did not communicate much, and not just according to me. I was going to enroll him (am going to) in perpetual memorial at the National Shrine and send him a card, because I could not go this summer. What a wonderful, blessed man.

Kenneth
  • Caleferink
    Here is Fr. Columba's obit: https://www.saintmeinrad.org/news?story=7268
  • Caleferink
    Carl D - apologies, I didn't see your post until after mine.
  • ghmus7
    Not only a great man, but an era has passed. His influence will last and we pray that all of us will take up his work with renewed interest. I remember most clearly his enthusiasm and love of chnat, and his very winning way in which he made his points. He was a great encourager to all in this field. May perpetual light shine on him, and may he be enjoying the music of heaven!

Music is the only profession that will last for heaven...all other professions, doctors, lawyers, etc will pass away...
    Matttheson
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn