New memory Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church
  • Jérôme
    Hi,

This new memory comes with two antiphons:

Benedictus : Erant discipuli perseverantes unanimiter in oratione cum Maria matre Iesu.
    Magnificat: Dixit Dominus matri suae: Mulier, ecce filius tuus; ad discipulum autem: Ecce mater tua.

Are there matching gregorian antiphons for singing? Otherwise, are there equivalent ones?
    Or should the common be used instead?

Best Regards,
  • Jerome,

I'm sorry not to know the answer to your inquiry. I look forward to learning with you.

In English we say "memorial", not "memory".
    Thanked by 1Jérôme
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    The Magnificat antiphon exists in the repertoire. Didn't find the one for Lauds.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Cantus database offers this: http://cantusindex.org/id/002286, click on the line begining 'display' to see the tune. The other text does not appear in this comprehensive database.
  • Jérôme
    @Chris

Thanks. I searched the web for the right translation but I probably misread.
  • Jérôme
    Thanks to all.

I guess the Vatican will provide an update to the OCO.
  • Jerome,

I'm pleased to be helpful -- when I am.

Memoire can mean either "memory" or "Memorial", depending on the context.

Aide memoire = mnemonic device.
    Memoire de St. Pierre Celestin = Memorial of St. Peter Celestin.

Are you looking for the Office or for the Mass?

• igneusigneus
    I guess the Vatican will provide an update to the OCO.

I don't know of a single case of provision being made for a new feast by updating the OCO. And a new updated edition of the whole OCO is not to be expected before 2047 :)
  • Excuse the ignorant question, but what's

OCO
  • igneusigneus
    Ordo cantus officii - document prescribing where to find antiphons for chanted Divine Office in Latin
  • Jérôme
    @igneus You're right. The Octave of Pentecost could be restored before any new update of the OCO :)
    Thanked by 2Salieri tomjaw
  • SalieriSalieri
    You should vote for me for Pope: I intend to restore all the octaves.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Joseph Mendes
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The Benedictus and Magnificat are taken from Tertia and Nona of the Commons of the Blessed Virgin Mary. OCO gives these antiphons:

B Perseverabant unanimiter in oratione, cum Maria matre Iesu. (Sol, Antiphonale Monasticum III, 329)

M Dixit Dominus matri suae: Mulier, ecce filius tuus. Ad discipulum autem: Ecce mater tua (CAO 2286, Antiphonale Monasticum III, 331)

The Benedictus is close enough (only 'Erant discipuli' missing at the start) and the Magnificat is an exact match.
    3264 x 2448 - 1001K
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen a_f_hawkins
  • Jérôme
    @smvanroode Thank you very much.

So they made sure it coud be sung after all. Very good news.
  • Marcel
    The site of Calithes (www.calithes.it) gives also two antiphons, the first one from the Proper of Chartres, the other one from CAO.