Jubilate Deo Booklet
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I was needing to download the Jubilate Deo booklet. I followed the link for the St. Cecelia Schola, but that link is no longer good. Does anyone know where I can find another resource for this?
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Thanks, Bonnie! I'm also looking for the version in chant notation.
    Thanked by 1m_r_taylor
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    After doing a little searching, I came up with this jewel! http://www.swoycc.org/forms/jubilate.pdf

[Link Fixed]

Thanked by 2chonak CeciliaJulia
  • chonakchonak
    A copy of the booklet and of a demonstration recording sold in the 1980s is on-line at
    http://www.gabrielmass.com/rac/cmaa/jubilate_deo/
    (sound files in FLAC format, transcribed from audio cassette, sung rather slowly)
  • bonniebede
    Thanks chonak very handy. bhc, the one marked neumes is in chant notation.
    Thanked by 1bhcordova
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Sorry Bonnie, only clicked on the left one.
  • toddevoss
    I'm going to suggest to the creators of the Square Note App(wonderful app!) that they add the Jubilate Deo compilation to their App (obviously pieces of it are in the Kyriale and "other chants" but not all of it and not in one handy place in the App). Because that app is increasingly being accessed by beginners from the great unwashed (like myself). To some degree, it's even advertised for "learners" and yet does not have this beginner's basic repertoire. For the same reason, I also feel it would be a great service if CC Watershed could do the same on its Kyriale page with the wonderful practice audio/videos (not that he has tons of spare time!). http://www.ccwatershed.org/kyriale/

There are separate pieces on Youtube but not a complete compilation in one place on Youtube to my knowledge. The demonstration recording Chonak linked to is currently the best (and I believe only) "complete" practice recording out there in the digital world to my knowledge.
  • toddevoss
    Strangely enough the flac files at Chonak's link don't include Salve Regina. Well there are couple very good recordings on YouTube for that one.
  • toddevoss
    Got a positive response from Developer of Square Note on my suggestion. Here's hoping!
  • I'm not sure if this is old news to many of you, but Pilgrimage House Press has now republished the 1974 Typis Polyglottis Vaticanis Edition of Jubilate Deo. Not being a musician or having access to the original, I am not sure whether all of the chants were all set properly, but I think this is a great service to the Church on the part of the publisher. It can be found on Amazon as well as here:
    http://pilgrimagehousepress.com/?page_id=11
    Thanked by 3chonak tomjaw CHGiffen
  • a_f_hawkins
    GIA seem to have a much cheaper version, at https://www.giamusic.com/store/resource/jubilate-deo-print-g1909 , which is probably also the 1974 edition judging by the description. It will certainly be a welcome development if we can get back to where we should have been 45 years ago, and then move on 'the road not taken'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for posting about Pilgrimage's edition of Jubilate Deo. I didn't know about it until now. It probably has better engraving than the 1970s Vatican version, but its cover price of $18.95 is just too high. In that range -- even with the current discount down to $14.21 -- Solesmes' hardcover introductory book Liber Cantualis (about $16) is a better value.

If they were to change it from paperback to booklet format, they might be able to get the Lulu price down around $8, though the booklets would probably be less durable than the paperbacks.

Unfortunately for people who might want to see Pilgrimage's edition before ordering a copy, their on-line sample display only shows text pages in the little book: none of the chants! They should use Lulu's option to select which pages are included in the sampler.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw CHGiffen
  • I clicked on a few of the sound files that chonak shared from Gabrielmass.

I must be living under a rock. I never realized that the melodic formula of the Easter time dismissal, "Thanks be God, Alleluia" is an all "alleluia" chant that would be wonderful to use as the Gospel Acclamation.

Thank you, chonak, for finding and sharing the recording.
    Thanked by 1davido
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The GIA publication is in modern notation, not chant notation.
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins francis
  • a_f_hawkins
    Thanks @bhcordova, is it the 32 items listed here? I wonder why GIA are so coy with their description.
    Joseph Michael : Curiously, that Alleluia (which I have never heard) is NOT what is shown in their copy of the booklet.
  • chonakchonak
    The PDF at my gabrielmass link above has a scan of the original Vatican booklet, except that someone replaced the title page and added Voluntati Obsequens.
  • Ta da!

The first file, "jubilate deo modern notation.doc", has only 13 pages;
    the second, "jubilate deo word neumes.doc", has 45 pages and many more chants, although a few of the pages are blank.
  • Kathy
    For $20 you can buy the Parish Book of Chant, or as my old schola called it for some reason, the Cherished Book of Pants.
    Thanked by 1petrus_simplex
  • They probably felt obligated to call it that, Kathy. To do otherwise would be a Breech of Contract.
  • Kathy
    Yeah, they would be called Slackers.
  • francis
    What is the best pdf download of the Jubilate Deo to date?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Most of the links here seem already to be broken! In fact none leads to a complete copy. Here is a reset version someone uploaded to the forum :- https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/2008/10/Jubilate Deo 1dot02.pdf
  • francis
    tnx a_f_hwkins
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    francis,

Bonniebede posted two version (chant notation and modern notation) in her post above (second from the top)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • WGS
    Francis,

I'll send you a couple of copies by USPS. One is G-1909 of 1974 from G.I.A. It's in modern notation but otherwise almost identical to the Typis Polyglotis Vaticanis edition of MCMLXXIV (the issue with the durable flexible red cover - which I will not send to you).

I will also send you one in chant notation from Our Sunday Visitor, Inc. It does have O Salutaris and Tantum Ergo but lacks the extensive bunch of hymns, etc. from the original edition.

I think I have your east coast mailing address, but send me an email to make sure.
  • davido
    Chonak, are the jubilate deo recordings still available? I would like to hear them but am getting a “forbidden” link
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for letting me know about this. I recently relocated the web site to another server, and in the process didn't keep the permissions set as they were; but I've fixed it now.
    http://www.gabrielmass.com/rac/cmaa/jubilate_deo/
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Bounce to current because April 14, 2024 will be the 50 year anniversary of Jubilate Deo.
  • davido
    Finally listened to those recordings. The "Alleluia tempore paschali" is interesting. I don't see it in any Jubilate Deo booklet. Has anyone seen it in print anywhere as a melody for the chant before the Gospel?
  • GerardH
    @davido It's in the Graduale Simplex as the alleluia before the gospel at the Easter Vigil.
    Thanked by 1Paul F. Ford
  • davido
    Thank you
    Thanked by 1GerardH