Abel Di Marco's editions
  • CGM
    Saw this post, and it reminded me that all of Abel Di Marco's scores are missing from CPDL. Fr. Di Marco was hosting them on the website of the university where he taught, and my guess is that he either retired or died, because his name is completely absent from that website now (he's not in any faculty directories or music pages), as are all the hundreds of editions he had posted there. I've searched for some of them at archive.org, without success. Anyone have a comprehensive collection (or even just a substantial one) of all the scores he had provided?
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    See my post here at the forum.

One of the problems with Fr Di Marco's editions is that several years back, he revised each PDF to include MP3 simulated performances, making the size of each file quite large (typically around12 MBytes), making it difficult for an individual to collect them all. However, a back-up of about 500 or maybe more) of these scores does exist, and CPDL is looking into whether these scores can be released, perhaps with the included MP3 audio component removed.
  • a_f_hawkins
    The Wayback Machine has two hundred plus captures here. But that includes duplicates, and probably revisions. So, over 100, but nothing like the full collection.
    Thanked by 1CGM
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Abel Di Marco links at CPDL have been changed to an archive.org path (the Wayback Machine), but, as a_f_hawkins points out, there are only 223 URLs captured, so many scores are still unavailable. Let's hope that we can do better in the near future.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Another point - does anyone have any information on the status of Fr. Di Marco personally? It sounds like he could use our prayers in any case.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • aldrich
    From the head of our schola: Fr. di Marco's scores are still accessible at https://cantoral.mipucpr.org , however the site has an expired SSL certificate (should be ok to temporarily store an exception to the warning though).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    @aldrich ... that link brings the warning:
    Your connection is not secure

The owner of cantoral.mipucpr.org has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
    ...cantoral.mipucpr.org uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on Friday, April 13, 2018, 6:59 PM. The current time is Wednesday, April 18, 2018, 12:57 PM.

I'm not sure how many are willing to venture to store an exception, though.
  • aldrich
    Proper procedure probably would be to contact Fr. di Marco or the site's webmaster; however, there are no contact details.
  • go to WWW and look up a 2017 article entitled "Undiscovered gems from the Choral Public Domain Library" , by Vaughn Roste, Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne

which makes mention of “Abel Di Marco (b. 1932). (retired priest from Argentina)”.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • aldrich
    Msgr. di Marco was born in Argentina, but the main bulk of his work is with the Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico.
  • aldrich
    Recatalogued them here:
    Cantoral: https://cappellagregoriana.wordpress.com/cantoral/
    Cantoral Gregoriano: https://cappellagregoriana.wordpress.com/cantoral-gregoriano/

Let us know if there are incorrect sheet music assignments.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks, aldrich. This was very gracious of Cappella Gregoriana Sanctæ Cæciliæ olim Xicatunensis
  • aldrich
    We've just been informed that Mons. Di Marco passed away last Sunday. This is very, very sad news. Let us say a prayer for Mons. Di Marco.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Requiescat in pace. This is indeed very sad news. I've just passed this along to my colleagues (Admins) at CPDL, which has had a long association with Fr. di Marco.