Missa Veni Sponsa Christi
  • cathystox
    When would it be appropriate to sing this mass? Thank you
  • stulte
    Are you talking about the setting by Palestrina?
  • In the EF, Veni Sponsa is the Magnificat Antiphon from the common of Virgins... so presumably it would be most fitting to sing for the feast of a Virgin... like St. Therese of Lisieux on October 3rd. However, you could use it at other times rather than restricting it to simply this use.
  • cathystox
    thank you very much! Yes, I was referring to Palestrina.
    :)
  • stulte
    Go ahead and use that Mass setting whenever. All the name really means is that the musical material came from the motet Palestrina composed using the chant themes. Does a parody Mass setting have a certain connection with the feasts/Saints/devotions pertaining to the musical work used to supply its thematic material? Yes, but it's still a normal polyphonic Mass setting. Enjoy! That setting is very beautiful.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Does a parody Mass setting have a certain connection with the feasts/Saints/devotions pertaining to the musical work used to supply its thematic material?

Maybe I'm too much a nerd, but I've always hoped to use either Lassus's Octavi Toni or one of the L'homme Armee settings to celebrate the Mass on opening day of hunting season.
  • Stimson,
    Do people hunt much, where you live, and do they have a Mass at the beginning of the hunting season, as Lawyers do at the beginning of the court term?
  • tomjaw
    We have had a hunting Mass... I think they had a votive Mass of St. Hubert.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    There's a decent amount of hunters. If first day of hunting didn't work I was hoping to schedule either for Michaelmas or the feast of Gabriel Possenti - the patron of the local gun club.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • It would be most fitting for religious professions for women and the Rite of Consecration of a Virgin, along with the actual Palestrina motet.