ISO of farewell choral piece
  • Stella611
    I am hoping some of you might have some good suggestions for a farewell song for our pastor? He has been our pastor for 9 years, and the only pastor we've had since acquiring the parish property. He has been an amazing spiritual leader, and our parish has also been HIS first pastor assignment, and he leaves us now as we embark on the next steps for building a bigger church for our growing community.
    I remember singing a nice choral arrangement of "God be With you till we meet again" when I sang with a civic group... but wondering if you all might have some other great suggestions!

Very likely there will be a farewell party for him in the summer, and I would like the adult choirs to learn something to sing (moderate/advanced talent in our choirs) in the next 2 months.
    Possibly even something where the melody could also be learned by the children's choirs.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
  • kevinfkevinf
    The Lord Bless You and Keep you-Lutkin.
  • Liam
    If you're willing to venture German: Brahms' Geistliches Lied (Laß dich nur nichts nicht dauern):

http://emmanuelmusic.org/notes_translations/translations_motets/t_brahms_geistliches.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp6lAefCCjI

A double canon at the 9th interval (which, because of its distilled simplicity, is not that difficult - it's one of this simple black gowns of the SATB choral repertoire, as it were) ...culminating in a killer Amen.

I recommend this text because it spiritually engages apprehensions that may be felt not only by the community but by the departing pastor that Church People Don't Talk About Because We Have To Be Nice/Positive.

Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • CharlesW
    I have used the Rutter and the Lutkin versions of, "The Lord Bless You..."
  • Ecce Sacerdos Magnus?

O Welt, ich muss dich lassen?

For he's a jolly good fellow?
  • GambaGamba
    In a dusty corner of the choir library I found an Ave Maria badly contrafacted from Bennett’s “Weep, O mine eyes, and cease not”. I would have thrown it out, but it will be handy should our excellent priest retire.
  • canadashcanadash
    We've used Rutter's "The Peace of God". It is in the Oxford Easy Anthem Book.
  • Tu Es Sacerdos by Praglia is nice...

https://www.scribd.com/document/255661399/Tu-Es-Sacerdos-Praglia

I have it SATB as well, if interested.
  • WGS
    and for something completely different - that is, non-liturgical and non-sacred, but appropriate for a subsequent social festivity:

In honor of the retirement of an Episcopal priest, I set "You are Old, Father William" by Lewis Carroll to an Anglican Chant. Sorry - I can't recall which chant, and I don't have a copy, but you get the idea. You can experiment with the priest's first or last name to come up with the best fit for "William".
  • SMCS has their boys memorize the Lutkin, and we sing it whenever the opportunity presents itself. The more musical kids conduct it if there isn't a staff conductor present.
    It's a wonderful option.
    Thanked by 2JL Patricia Cecilia
  • davido
    The hymn God be with you (RANDOLPH) could be appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Patricia Cecilia