gregorian chant proper for Novus Ordo Mass
  • Dear musicasacra member,
    i have question regarding using gregorian chant for NO mass.
    i know that gregorian to be the first consideration for liturgical song, and some gregorian hymn, on special occassion, use chant for mass service(e.g kryriale XVII for advent and lent, tantum ergo sacramentum for adoration of the Holy Sacrament).
    can gregorian proper (introit,graduale,tractus, offertory, communion) used on NO mass (because both have different on liturgical calendar)?
    thank you very much.
  • davido
    Yes. The Gregorian chants for NO can be found in the Graduale Romanum 1974, or the Gregorian Missal, both of which can be found on the musicasacra downloads page.
    Thanked by 1andreasadi
  • O_O

thank you very much.
  • Andrew_Malton
    The definitive reference, from the Holy See, of how Novus Ordo Masses are to be sung with their (Gregorian) propers -- which you enumerate above -- is Ordo Cantus Missae, available in a couple of places on the internet (e.g. here) although not, apprarently, from the CMAA downloads page.
    Thanked by 1andreasadi
  • so, it's okay for me to use Graduale Romanum 1974 instead Ordo Cantus Missae?
    and what is neoGregorian communion anyway?
    thank you
  • Andrew_Malton
    If there are differences between the modern Graduale (which is from Solesmes, and so technically a private compilation) and the Ordo (which is an official liturgical book) they are very very minor.

I don't know the term "neogregorian communion" , but "neogregorian" generally means modern compositions in the musical language of the Gregorian repertoire, typically as prepared for new propers of new Feasts. That's a perfectly legitimate thing to do, as mentioned (see para 44) eg by Pope Ven. Pius XII. However, especially for scientific purposes it's helpful to know which are the ancient melodies and which are the newer ones.

There is a great deal more to say. Your original question is rather broad. You will find discussions going back well over a decade, on all practical and theoretical aspects of Gregorian chant for the Novus Ordo, elsewhere on this forum. The search box is your friend.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The Gregorian Missal does make it much easier to find the correct Gregorian propers for the day, than looking at the EF calendar and seeing if it matches the OF calendar.
    While we don't employ, as often, the use of the Gregorian gradual/tract/alleluia (though we used at least 2 tracts during holy week - but in English), we make fair use of the Gregorian introits and offertories, and very regular use of the Gregorian communion propers.

Since our (St. Isaac Jogues) missal shows the English and Latin propers side-by-side, there isn't much cause for argument, regarding the use of the Latin.
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome, andreasadi!

The Ordo Cantus Missae contains the schedule assigning chants to the modern calendar, and the Graduale Romanum 1974 presents the chants themselves arranged according to that schedule, so there is little need for a copy of the OCM.

"Neo-gregorian" refers to chants composed in recent centuries, in contrast to the medieval Gregorian repertoire. These newer compositions had replaced older chants for some feasts. After Vatican II, when the OCM was published, some older chants were restored, and the "neo-gregorian" compositions were kept as an option. In the GR 1974, the editors omitted them.
  • CatherineS
    Hi - first time posting here. Excuse me if I make any newbie blunders. I have sung propers (alone or with a schola that usually sings at the EF Masses) at NO Masses, using the Graduale Romanum 1974 that others mention. I don't think I've ever sung the Gradual - usually the priest prefers to use the responsorial psalm instead, which the congregation is accustomed to. The other proper parts (Introit, etc.) don't startle the congregation, because they occur in or around the places where there would otherwise be vernacular hymns.
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome, CatherineS!
  • NB: There is a section in the Ordo cantus Missae that identifies certain chants that are considered non-authentic Gregorian chant (i.e., “neo-Gregorian”) but that may still be sung for the appointed occasions. The wedding introit “Deus Israël”, for example, falls into this group, as does “Illuxerunt” (Transfiguration).

These chants aren’t included in Graduale 1974. To my mind this is to the general detriment, particularly in the case of the wedding propers.
  • just a minute. in my knowledge so far about gregorian chant, the wedding introit appear on Liber Usualis Nuptial Mass. i don't know about Illuxerunt yet.
    okay,i think this in beyond the scope of my original question,but, very interesting anyway