St. John Passion according to the English Lectionary, in Neumatic Notation and with Planctus Tone
  • Hi all - Perhaps some of you will find this useful. I've set the Saint John Passion according to the English lectionary in neumatic notation. It's available here.

A few of notes:
    - I've included the planctus tone at the end, in its traditional beginning place (Joseph of Arimathea)
    - I decided to keep all the parts in the same clef (c3) for all parts, for the sake of simplicity in the setting.
    - The page sizes look different in the PDF (because they are), but they seem to print just fine, the pages with music on them just ending up with wider margins.

I'm hoping to complete the same project in Spanish in the next week, but we will see if that is possible given the demands of Holy Week impending.
  • Did you complete the Spanish setting?
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Heath
    HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE PLANCTUS TONE?? Thanks for doing this, Jenny!
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Excellent! Did you do this in Gregorio, and if so, would you mind sharing the gabc? Thanks!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Really nice! I only wish there were not a potentially noisy page turn (at the bottom of 13 yet!) following "And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit."
  • Caleferink
    Really nice! I only wish there were not a potentially noisy page turn (at the bottom of 13 yet!) following "And bowing his head, he handed over the spirit."

One just simply turns the page during the cacophony of kneelers being lowered quickly as people realize all of a sudden that they have to kneel there!
    Thanked by 2CCooze eft94530
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I did one in modern notation using the RSV translation for the Anglican Ordinariate some time back.
  • GambaGamba
    This is really beautiful! As Clemens said above, I too would be interested in the GABC, in order to make a leaflet next year for the people to chant when the crowd is speaking in the Passion.

Today, the poor Synagoga was joined every time the crowd spoke by several hundred people following the text and trying to sing along with him. Apparently the tradition here of read Passion Sunday, sung Passion Friday is too confusing, or else the people just can’t get enough chances to shout “Crucify him...” To their credit, they (mostly?) figured out the recitation formula by the end, but I would have thought they’d get the idea and give up after the first paragraphs...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Then you need to introduce Victoria's turbae. ;-)
    Thanked by 1eft94530