• MarkB
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Sad to say, the Schutte setting ranges from bad to paltry to abominable on just about every level. Good luck.
  • chonakchonak
    Does he want to sing it himself? If he thinks that it is permitted and valuable to sing that unofficial version instead of the authorized version, he should take on the task of singing it himself, since you have indicated that you do not believe that you have the right to do it.
  • fcbfcb
    Mark 9:29. Good luck.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • JL
    You might also point out that he's only sprung this on you a few days before Laetare (assuming, of course, that he has), and the choir has so much music already to prepare for Holy Week. They couldn't possibly handle another thing on their plate on such short notice.
  • eft94530eft94530
    source that might help me persuade

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html

[59.] The reprobated practice by which Priests, Deacons or the faithful here and there alter or vary at will the texts of the Sacred Liturgy that they are charged to pronounce, must cease. For in doing thus, they render the celebration of the Sacred Liturgy unstable, and not infrequently distort the authentic meaning of the Liturgy

http://www.usccb.org/bible/nehemiah/8

How big is your Easter Fire?
    Perhaps some accessories ..
    If large then a post and chains.
    If small then a roasting spit.
    Thanked by 2MarkB Incardination
  • Liam
    The Exsultet is not a song like a hymn. It's a sung anaphora, like a chanted Eucharistic Prayer (which is clearer when it's a cleric singing it, because its structure of preface-dialogue-offering/sacrifice/anamnesis* is clearer). You would no more substitute a paraphrase for the Exsultet than for the Eucharistic Prayer. (And this is a liturgical progressive typing here, in case it matters - it shouldn't - from which perspective this is coming from.)

* What's being oblated is the beeswax, consumed by the fire.

• StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Tell your pastor that Dan Schutte doesn't support DACA. I know it's a longshot, but I imagine that would be a deal-breaker with your pastor. (Don't tell him that DACA stands for "Doing Authentic Catholic Art".)
  • Andrew_Malton
    Hard to imagine how a priest who wants to do a paraphrase of the liturgy, would be swayed by the dead letter that is Redemptionis Sacramentum.

• MarkB
  • I agree with your assessment of the song, and I'm a little heartened by the fact that OCP acknowledged that it shouldn't replace the liturgical function of the Exsultet, but I'm pretty sure that they did not take themselves to be acknowledging that the song has "no place in Catholic liturgy", much as we might like them to have done so.
    Thanked by 2MarkB irishtenor
  • Liam
    Well, perhaps someone might have though about using it for a community that was, for lack of an available priest, celebrating the Liturgy of the Hours instead of the Vigil proper....I am not thinking that person is Mr Schutte, but perhaps someone....

Thanked by 2MarkB irishtenor
  • MarkB
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Unfortunately, I've had to endure this so called "Most Holy Night" being sung ... no performed ... in place of the Exsultet. While a great many there ate it up, I was more than underwhelmed.
    Thanked by 1MarkB
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I was more than underwhelmed.

More open to interpretation than intended, I'm sure!
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Perhaps I should have said less than underwhelmed!
  • CharlesW
    Pastors are difficult to train and nearly impossible to housebreak.

I haven't heard the Schutte and hope to never hear it.

Too bad the Russians don't kidnap him before he writes anything else.
  • Caleferink
    In any event, that email from OCP about "Most Holy Night" might now be the best ammunition you have. If your pastor doesn't care about official documents, this message from the publisher itself acknowledging that it shouldn't be used in place of the Exsultet may be what convinces him. "For he who is not against us is for us," at least in this regard.
    Thanked by 3CCooze MarkB CHGiffen
  • Liam
    And, if the priest objects that, if it's not intended to be used for the Exsultet, what is it for, you could suggest my speculation that it could be used in communities that are celebrating the Liturgy of the Hours instead of the Vigil because of lack of priests.
    Thanked by 2MarkB CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    that email from OCP about "Most Holy Night" might now be the best ammunition you have. If your pastor doesn't care about official documents

I've known pastors and celebrants that would regard the OCP proscription as a virtual rationale FOR ITS USE. And I hope their biological attrition comes too soon.
  • drforjc
    Hard to imagine how a priest who wants to do a paraphrase of the liturgy, would be swayed by the dead letter that is Redemptionis Sacramentum.

On the other hand, a little pricking of the conscience might not be the worst thing to have happen to such a person.
  • eft94530eft94530
    snarky=on
    Why will you not encounter and accompany ME ?