• cricketts
    Is it appropriate to program an arrangement of Adoro Te Devote on Palm Sunday?
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it does include material about the Crucifixion; on the other hand, that doesn't appear until the third stanza and afterward, so I don't think it's an ideal match for the day.
  • Kathy
    Communion is Communion. The pelican imagery is also right on point.
  • And also, there is that stanza about 'I am not like Thomas...'. Definitely Easterish.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • fcbfcb
    Why not save it until Holy Thursday?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Caleferink
    There's nothing "wrong" with doing "Adoro te" any time of the year, but if I were to use a traditional Eucharistic text on Palm Sunday I'd lean more toward an "Ave verum corpus."
  • rarty
    I think it might highlight something that is often overlooked.

On Palm Sunday, the Passion has traditionally included all of Matthew 26, which has the preparation, Lord's Supper, and institution narrative.

This was the only Sunday of the entire year to include the Gospel account of the institution of the Eucharist, and I think it still is (with the corresponding accounts from Saints Luke and Mark). On Holy Thursday the Gospel is of the washing, with the institution narrative from Saint Paul.

Amazingly, in the 1962 Missal (but not the pre-1955) the 'synoptic' institution narrative is completely omitted...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think one needs to thoroughly vette the rationale for using any/all option fours.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • chonakchonak
    "Adoro te" can be sung on many occasions. What works are especially apt for Palm Sunday?

Perhaps the hymn "Ah, Holy Jesus, how hast thou offended"; or the vesper chant hymn "Vexilla Regis".
  • That verse four makes it especially nice for the 2nd Sunday of Easter, too...
  • eft94530eft94530
    Palm Sunday

Extraordinary Form (EF) Graduale Romanum 1961 CO Ant
    Pater, si non potest hic calix transire, nisi bibam illum; fiat voluntas tua.

(Gregorian Missal
    (ABC=Matthew 26:42
    (Father, if this cup cannot pass away unless I drink it, thy will be done.)

Ordinary Form (OF) Graduale Romanum 1974 CO Ant
    same as above
    plus these psalm verses
    Psalm 21*, 2, 3, 5, 7, 15cd, 17ab, 17c-18, 22, 23, 24, 28, 20c-31a, 31b-32
    vel
    Psalm 115*, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16ab, 16c-17, 18, 19

Are there hymn texts that express these?