• My pastor would like to discontinue purchasing paper missallettes and has tasked me with finding a 3 year cycle pew lectionary. It does not need to contain a hymns.

I am aware of the CC Watershed Isaac Jogues Missal and the Lumen Christi Missal. Today I also found the St. Augustine Hymnal which has a 3 year cycle of readings.

The parish is quite "contemporary" and doesn't use Latin. All masses are OF.

Are there any other pew missals out there?
    Also, does anyone have critiques or praise for any of the above mentioned books?

Thanks in advance.
  • Kathy
    The Vatican II hymnal has relatively few hymns and the full lectionary. An unusual bonus is the woodcut art throughout, which I've seen keep kids occupied. It has some old fashioned typefaces, but the name will be seen as user-friendly for "contemporary" parishes.
  • chonakchonak
    The V2: Is it still in print?

I'm told that the Augustine has a lot of typos in the music.

As a suggestion, it might be worthwhile to broaden the search to also consider one-year pew books, since that will give you some choices that are easier to handle.
    E.g., http://www.catholicbookpublishing.com/products/1398
  • The St. Isaac Jogues Missal is certainly the most beautiful Missal I have ever seen.
  • KARU27
    Something to consider, the EF church where I occasionally attend has a big beautiful pew missal. I can't remember now which one it is - - but the darn thing is heavy! I don't know how little old ladies would hold this thing.
    I think the same is true for my OF parish, Journeysongs is no picnic to hold either! : )
  • CCoozeCCooze
    We have the St. Isaac Jogues, and it's very nice.
    A big plus, of course, is that it has everything besides the readings+Gospel side-by-side in both English and Latin.
    If your parish becomes more traditional, even to try, the Latin is right there in front of their faces as a literal part of that day's Mass, and there really isn't much for the PiPs to complain about, as though they had no idea "what was being said."
  • I agree with hilluminar; the Isaac Jogues missal uses calligraphic (?) big beautiful letters at the beginning of the Introit in English/Latin and also the Gospel readings—they look like they were drawn by hand. Also, it has a sticky cover material that doesn't slip out of my hands as some of the disposable ones do.
  • Chonak- we are transitioning from, the use of a yearly missal now. This is a large parish so this would be a $1000 savings each year.

doneill- my OP stated the LC missal was one I am looking at. Do you have a review of it?
  • I apologize for the double post-

I should have been more clear- has anyone used any of these in missals or hymnals in their work or parish? I am already aware of the marketing points of each of the above mentioned. The companies were also helpful answering questions. I was looking for personal critiques or praise.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Have you seen these, which Google found for me?
    Here is a favourable review - LC.
    If your pastor is sure what he wants, maybe you should show him this thread which shows a lot of problems about implementation.
  • Kathy
    I'm not sure I understand. These were all personal impressions, not marketing points.

What kind of info are you looking for?
    Thanked by 2CCooze CHGiffen
  • I was visiting at the Cathedral in Shreveport recently and saw that they are using the Jogues Missal, iirc. It worked very nicely. I was quite impressed. They also had a tri-fold worship aid for the hymns they used for the weekend.

I wish I had personal experience with it, but, alas, mine is a BB parish.
  • Kathy
    ...in a BB state...
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz
  • PaxTecum
    We have worship 4 hymnal with readings. I don’t mind it (though I don’t really use half of the crap in there) but I would really love to have the Jogues and PBC along with W4
  • doneill
    PolksaPiano,

LC Missal came immediately to mind when you said that it did not need to have hymns. It's a nice-looking hardbound pew Missal with the readings, and psalm antiphons (including for the ferial Masses) by Adam Bartlett; also translations of all the propers of both the Graduale Romanum and Roman Missal, including the Offertories. I've never had the opportunity to implement it in a parish, but I still use it as an invaluable resource.
  • davido
    A parish I used to work in bought LC and still uses it. I like it. This parish was already accustomed to seeing square notes having used the PBC previously.
    I think the chant responsorial psalm antiphons in the LC are much easier to pick up than Ostrowski, Rice, or Nickel. I don’t mind Alstott psalms, but the chant ones are superior, don’t dictate emotion.

There are two things I dislike: no solesmes markings, even in the ordinaries; Bartlett’s own chant adaptions sound vaguely like contemporary music. I like the Weber adaptions better, as they sound more Gregorian/tradition/solesmes-like.

I’ve not used another permanent missal, but I do really like LC.
  • Nisi
    We have had the Lumen Christi Missal in the pews (600 copies) for about three years and everyone loves it. A beautiful production all round.
  • Kathy- I wasn't trying to be short. Sorry. What I meant by "marketing material" was that many of the points given by people above (who simply have a passing familiarity with it) I already knew by reading each books' marketing material. I was simply looking for personal experience of its use in a parish, ie how it is working or not working for parishes that have implemented any of these books' use.