Concert - historic Old St. Mary's in Cincinnati
  • For any of you that might be in the Cincinnati area, Old St. Mary's and Sacred Heart (both parishes administered by the Oratorian Community) are putting on a concert that I think is well worth attending. The concert is a fund-raiser for the Sacred Music Retreat held in August of this year. Featuring three musicians from the two parishes plus a student of one of our musicians, the concert will be just over an hour long. I've attached the flyer that provides more detail.
  • Ach! One of the most beautiful flyers I have ever seen!

What organ do you have to play the Titelouze on?
    I am an ardent admirer of his music and have played much of it, with chant, in recitals.
    But for Couperin and de Grigny, it is unfortunate that French organ music took the turn it did in the several generations after him. Isn't it an irony that whilst T is considered the Father of French Organ Music, hardly any of it after his time shows any kinship with his oeuvre, which may rightly be thought of as the swan song of Franco-Flemish polyphony. While he was somewhat revered in memory, he was far too little imitated!

At any rate - I regret that I cannot attend your sacred concert.
    Godspeed!
  • Our organist, Br. Brent Stull, is truly phenomenal (he also designed the flyer). The organ was restored (in last year, maybe two) by Austin. I'll have to get more information from Br. Brent... but in the meantime, you might enjoy this: http://360around.com/project/old-st-marys-pipe-organ/

If you ever pass through Cincinnati, let me know - I will give you the grand tour and roll out the red carpet. If I'm down in Houston, I'll definitely look you up!!
  • The historical record has it that Titelouze, after having been appointed organist at Rouen, refused to ascend to the organ until after the stairwell and gallery had been 'fumigated' with incense because his predecessor, Francois Josseline, had died at the organ.

Literature about him is scarce. Too, the theories about the origin of his name are varied and as conflicting as they are interesting. I have long thought, though, that there was a profound English influence in his works, particularly in the intricacy of his counterpoint. The fact that there was a vibrant community of English Catholic ex-patriates at St Omer, where he was born and reared, only reinforces this in my thinking.
  • MJO... what a wealth of information this forum provides. thanks!

Incardination - I so much wish I could be there, it sounds marvelous. And kudos to your graphic artist as well!