Arcadelt - Ave Maria for TBarB choir
  • stulte
    Here's a TBarB setting of the Arcadelt Ave Maria I made for my men's choir. Hopefully, it can be of use to someone out there. Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • jefe
    stulte,
    Good tried and true arranging here. I downloaded your Arcadelt and it looks very doable for our men's Compline Choir. If you need more sacred music for men, check this out and download away. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d19x25atn87uq8i/AADIb3qc4ORRrORSX1AqzN9Ga?dl=0
    As a matter of fact, this would be a good tune for our all-women Compline Choir for the end of Compline as an SSA trio up a 6th. I'll post it here if it looks like it will work.
    Thanked by 1stulte
  • stulte
    jefe, thank you. I'm glad it looks like something you can use. Let me know how it goes please. For women's voices, all of the low Fs can be sung up an octave in the bottom voice part. Originally, I scored this in E-flat instead of F as well. So, please feel free to tweak it for your needs. After all, it's an arrangement of something that was an arrangement of something that wasn't originally an Ave Maria setting.

Thanks also for posting the link to your scores on Dropbox. I'll dig through and see what I can use.
  • jefe
    Stulte,
    I whipped this out last hour. I helped myself to a few changes in the slurs. I looked in my files and found the Arcadelt Ave Maria in 3 different keys: 1. the original SATB in F; 2. a transposition I made down to D using counter tenors; 3. another transposition in C for a lower men's 4-part choir. Yours is an interesting kind of "dumbing down" (no offense) of the original implied notation, use of repeated phrases, and harmonic rhythm. I do think it is useful as it will go together quickly and sound very good with the women's version. Women seem to sound better in a trio texture than a quartet one.
  • stulte
    It looks good. Please let me know how it goes singing it. If you happen to have an app on your phone to record it, I'd love to hear it as well.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • I gave it a sight-read just now and recorded it. It's nice!
    Thanked by 1stulte
  • stulte
    Thank you. I'm glad you like it! By any chance, would you be willing to share the recording you made?
  • ghmus7
    Jefe: THANK YOU for your treasure trove of TTBB music! I am always looking for male choir music. I have many arrangements if you would like to inquire:
    ghmus7@hotmail.com
  • ghmus7
    Hello Jefe: I would like to print out some pieces from your Compline Collection, however the file named "Anthems" does not seem to allow any of those PDF's to be printed...maybe this is a problem on my end, but I can't solve it. I was able to print easily for your other files.
    COULD you possibly send me the pdf arrangement of the Magnificat by Animuccini? I would love to have a look at that for my choir.
    Gregory
    ghmus7@hotmail.com
  • I think the best sounding key for this piece is Eb
  • jefe
    ghmus, something is in your emailbox. The collection is so large now with so many versions, i cannot keep track of the edges. This fall I should have time to get everything into manageable sub files by voicing. I've done a lot more Compline tunes for SATB of late, so that's another subfile. We're now into year 10 doing Compline having chanted Compline around 145 times with now 5 different voicings. This Sunday August 11th, our family quartet; Jean Jefe Jim and Matt Reynolds will chant. All have been professional musicians so the program goes together very quickly. Here's the program the audience sees;
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen