St. Mary's Cathedral: Kingston, ON
  • I just thought I'd share some new musical activities going on in Kingston.

The Cathedral of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception
    Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Jeffrey Moellman, Director of Music/Organist

A few upcoming events:

Tonight, 7:00pm
    Advent Lessons and Carols

choral works by T. Barrett Armstrong, M. Fleming, Goudimel, G. Hancock, J. Hunnicutt, Mendelssohn, Ord, Rachmaninoff, Vaughan Williams, and Willan
    with student lectors from the (very fine) Catholic Chaplaincy of Queen's University (thank you, Fr. Raymond de Souza; weekly ad oriented Mass)

First Sunday of every month, 3:00pm
    Latin Mass in St. James' Chapel

full Gregorian Propers (tone for the Gradual) and Ordinary, occasional polyphony

In the New Year, 3rd Sunday of every month, 6:45pm
    Sung Vespers (cantor and organ)
    - this follows two very successful choral vespers this autumn
    (Solemnity of the Dedication of the Cathedral on Oct. 4, All Saints')

Always glad to welcome new, capable singers in the Cathedral Choir or Latin Mass Schola
  • Very curious what works you will be singing from Msgr. Armstrong's great library of Sacred Music. He wrote the psalm that we use on Christmas Eve every year.
  • To One That Is So Fair and Bright (written for the 50th anniversary of Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in Toronto). I like this setting better than Britten's, and think the Latin interpolations are very creative. We'll be singing this and the Rachmaninoff "Bogoroditse Djevo" this Friday for the Archdiocesan and Cathedral Patronal Feast Mass on Immaculate Conception.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    @JM: I glanced at the cathedral's website and didn't see anything about these events posted there. Maybe I'm missing something? I would love to encourage a friend of mine who lives in Kingston to attend by just linking to the website.

Is there a way to obtain "To One That is So Fair and Bright" by Armstrong? Thanks.
  • I am going to work on the website comment. I am in the process of adding Facebook events, etc.

I obtained "To One" directly from the former director of the Senior Choir @ St. Michael's Choir School. I had met him and his kind wife who also works/worked at the choir school when they toured with the choir to my parish in 2010. I would recommend contacting the choir school, as they seem to be open to sharing the work of those whose diligent work helped to build that programme.
    Thanked by 1canadash