Sarum Gradual
  • Hello all,

Does anyone know of any initiative to re-typeset the Graduale Sarisburiense (https://ia801006.us.archive.org/6/items/ldpd_10276822_000/ldpd_10276822_000.pdf)?
  • SalieriSalieri
    The link worketh not!
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • tsoapm
    Of a truth, and yet methinks a copy and paste sufficeth.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • a_f_hawkins
    No moderntrad , links can be tricksy, try here
  • GerardH
    I second the vote for Dr William Renwick's work. I wish I had more opportunities to incorporate Sarum chants or chant variants into the liturgy. Just look at all these Sequences!
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • That is such lovely work. I wish their setting of the propers (above) were just the music without the readings and rubrics. It would be nice to sing some of this music in place of the Gregorian melodies every once in a while to keep things lively.
  • igneusigneus
    It would be nice to sing some of this music in place of the Gregorian melodies every once in a while to keep things lively.

Strong gallicanist smell.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ummm what?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Um, igneus - sixth century or seventeenth century?
    St. Gregory the Great pointed out the Gallican Church to his envoy Augustine, the Apostle of England, as one of those whose customs he might accept as of equal stability with those of the Roman Church or of any other whatsoever.
    One can see that, for example, chant at Worcester is related to Rouen - in 13th century examples, not a bad thing in liturgy IMHO (not so good in politics).
    Thanked by 1moderntrad
  • Strong gallicanist smell.

Yes, an odd comment, given the great anti-gallican, Dom Gueranger's, intense interest in non-Roman liturgical collects, hymns, antiphons, &c. as evidenced (1) by his plenteous inclusion of such elements in his L'Année Liturgique, and (2) inclusion of a number of non-Roman elements in the Processionale Monasticum.