Rennaissance music notation
  • Dear all,
    i'm just googling and looking on internet, and thinking about rennaissance music notatoin.did someone have idea/project to write rennaissance score using old style rennaissance notation? i have interest to make that althought without illuminated paper.
    thank you very much
  • In 2017, I believe it's more trouble than it's worth.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Andrea -

Don't be put off.

I hope that you do it.

It would be worth the 'trouble'.

'The best reward of a thing well done is to have done it.'
    Even in 2017.
    Maybe especially in 2017!
    Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • There's somebody on CPDL who has been doing editions from the Trent Codices using computer-typeset white mensural notation. And 30 or more years ago there was the wonderful series of Ogni Sorte editions done by Richard Taruskin, with partbooks in original notation.

I've been an early music geek, I can read 4 clefs natively (and fake through 3-4 others), I've performed from 16th-17thc facsimiles. And even I have to ask why you'd want to do that. It's hard enough to find church musicians who can even read modern notation to any sort of standard. They aren't going to use this, and early music people are more likely to go for facsimiles. Since you have the skills, there is a vast repertoire of music in vocal parts from the 16th-19th centuries that needs to be scored in modern clefs and made available to modern choirs. Much of it is available over the Internet. That's where I'd put my effort, but you do what you want to do.
  • If you can do it and are so inclined, that is all the motivation or reward you need.
    Do it, if for no other reason than that you can.
    It's an admirable thing to do.
    Far more admirable than a lot of things that are being done!
    (And, if you don't do it you will come to wish that you had.)
    Thanked by 1WGS
  • Lilypond has some support for white and also black mensural notation; however, ligatures are know to sometimes have poor horizontal spacing.