Hymns that shouldn't be.
  • Hymns To Avoid

OR

There was a reason that the Liturgy of the Mass used to be totally scripture-based and would be welcomed once again.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Aeroplane.
    Wow.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Can't help remembering "The Treble Wore Trouble," when Muffy singing "Eagles Wings" at a baptism, dips her hand into the font while holding a microphone and gets electrocuted. "And he will raise you up on eagle's wings," zzzzzzztttttt. Eagles wings is deadly. Avoid it.
  • dad29
    Snuggle up close to Jesus and bask in the sun of his smile.

Delete the first 7 words, fiddle with the rest, and you have one of Cream's greatest hits.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Moscow, and anything sung to it.
  • I note that the examples given in the article are all old hymns - the aeroplane one is from a book published in 1923.

Just because something is from scripture does not mean it will have no unintentional meanings in some cultures. Ephesians 3:17 is a classic example - many translations include the phrase "rooted ... in love". But there are some countries where rooting is quite a different activity from cheering, and thus where any hymn with this phrase is Not An Option to use EVER.
  • CharlesW
    Moscow, and anything sung to it.

You're not fooling anyone. We all know you are just afraid someone will think you are colluding with the Russians.

I have heard that hymn in Protestant circles for many years. It is one I never use. No real reason, I just don't program it.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Kathy
    Just noting that the Marian antiphons aren't Scripture-based in a strict sense (except the first half of the Hail Mary). Some of the Propers aren't Scripture. The antiphons of the East, while venerable, are often not Scripture.

I agree there should be criteria! Just not sure this is the clear-cut basis for judgment.
  • PaxTecum
    Kathy - spot on. I agree.

Another example: the introit for All Saints reads something like "this is the solemnity of all the saints in which all of the angels in heaven rejoice" something like that - not scripture!
  • a_f_hawkins
    Rather than start a new thread - here is a contrasting viewpoint (but still Aaagh!) from the LA Review of Books
    Which is not to say there aren’t parts of church that are comforting. It is comforting, for instance, to sing songs in a group. Singing alongside other people is a basic human pleasure that extends back across time and culture, and it’s a shame to me that many adult Americans only experience it before baseball games. The songs that we sing in church are many of the same post-Vatican II songs I grew up singing. They sound like they should be on Sesame Street circa 1970, and I unabashedly adore them. It is comforting to loudly sing something that has little to no redeeming aesthetic value.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Kathy
    ...in a bar.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ...in a bar. barrel.
  • Maureen
    I'm sympathetic with the ideals behind the "all-Scripture" version of sacred music, but as other people have noted above, that's not what we see in the antiphons. Seriously, "all-Scripture" is trying to be more Catholic than the Pope. (Or more Orthodox than the Patriarch of Constantinople.)

When was there a time when all antiphons and hymns came only from the Bible?

Never.

As far back as memory runs, sacred poetry has always existed; and sacred Mass prayers have always included non-Biblical material.

Obviously, anybody attempting sacred poetry should be well-grounded in the Bible. But not all of the Church's teachings are included in the Bible, and neither are all of the Church's songs.

If you don't believe me, start reading the Fathers and and the old liturgies.

(I figure that if St. Prudentius could do it, we can do it.)
  • eft94530eft94530
    When was there a time when

Uuh .. in Nineteenth Century Russia?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Can the entire discussion, obviously I was wrong, right? And we have nothing to worry about and try to re-establish. (Muffy was Episcopalian, by the way, as I recall.)
  • swerdswerd
    I have composed and arranged numerous hymns spanning the church's liturgical year and for all age groups. Please see my website for more info at www.NewHeartMusic.net and listen to a partial listing of my hymns at www.hymntime.com or copy and paste the following link to access my page on that website:
    http://www.hymntime.com/tch/bio/w/e/r/werdebaugh_s.htm

Also, I have choral works posted there as well as organ instrumental music.
  • swerdswerd
    Also, all my music is considered public domain and therefore is free to copy and use for worship or devotions with no alterations. All other rights remain reserved.
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Sorry to yell, but...

JOHN RUTTER HAS SET "THE HEAVENLY AEROPLANE"?!

wow.
  • Kevin814
    Yes he has...and you know what, it's actually quite a catchy setting that I would program in a concert, though obviously not in worship.
  • Hugh
    From the linked article:

"Lord, I hear of showers of blessing Thou art scattering full and free
    Showers the thirsty land refreshing; let some droppings fall on me."

We were chuckling over this all last week, but Someone had the last laugh ...

yesterday I was cantoring during our Corpus Christi procession as it wended its way through the park adjacent to our church (St Aloysius' North Caulfield, Melbourne Australia). As we neared the lake, singing "Lauda Jerusalem", we passed under a leafy tree. Something happened. I was suddenly splashed all over with copious amounts of semi-liquid from on high. It hit my face (even got into my open mouth), hair, hands, suit, shoes and liberally besmirched the open page of my booklet.

Precision targetting ... not a single person in the tightly packed file around me was hit, and neither were they in any way aware of my plight. Such devotion!

"Lauda Jerusalem" became "Lauda Je...(spit, cough, splutter)....rusalem Dominum &c".

Happily, I'm reliably informed that no expletives were heard through our 3-megaphone mini-FM station relay.

And on we went, lifting praises high to the Word Incarnate, Maker of all creatures great and small.

I now understand why there's a canopy over the Blessed Sacrament during the procession. Next year I'm requesting one for the lowly cantor as well. Doesn't have to be as splendid. Functional will do.

Pictures of the Mass and Procession http://tinyurl.com/yassnylk.
  • Hugh
    Sorry: link is: http://tinyurl.com/yassnylk
  • "Moscow, and anything sung to it." Oh, M. Jackson Osborn, I like MOSCOW. How about if we call it ITALIAN HYMN? Willan liked MOSCOW. Somewhere, I have a recording of him playing it at SMM. The tempo on Verse 1 was Molto Adagio. With each succeeding verse, the tempo becomes even slower. And, stately. He wrote a sprightly little prelude on MOSCOW as well.