Parish suggestions- Cincinnati, OH
  • mariap
    Hello all!

My husband and I recently moved to the area and we are looking for a church to call home. I have been a professional cantor and volunteer choir member for about 10 years, and I am looking to join a choir in Cincinnati as well. My ideal church choir involves chanted propers (in Latin or English) so those suggestions in particular are appreciated. Ultimately, we are looking for a church with reverent liturgies in English, great music, and a warm, vibrant community.

We live near Pleasant Ridge, and were hoping for something that would be less than 30 minutes from us, but we are open to traveling a bit farther if necessary :) I would sincerely appreciate any ideas you may have! Thank you!
  • I may be a bit biased... :) but I would strongly encourage you to check out Old St. Mary's in Over the Rhine https://www.oldstmarys.org/ which is the home of the Oratorian Community in Cincinnati. Very vibrant liturgical life with OF in English, German, and Latin as well as EF on a regular basis. If you are interested, IM me and I will provide the e-mail address for the director of music. It would be a 20 minute commute from Pleasant Ridge.

Some other options... St. Gertrude in Madeira http://www.stgertrude.org/ - they are a primarily Dominican parish. I think all of the Dominicans from the Eastern division of the US receive training on chant there if not mistaken. About a 15 minute commute.

Lastly, Sacred Heart in Camp Washington https://www.sacredheartchurchcincinnati.com/ is a combined OF / EF parish connected to Old St. Mary's. They have more of an Italian connection than the German influence at Old St. Mary's. It would be about a 23-25 minute commute. The Sacred Heart Latin Mass Choir sings a number of EF Masses at Old St. Mary's.

Welcome to Cincinnati!!
  • Yes, welcome, from Augusta, KY, 46 miles down the river as well.

noel
    Thanked by 1mariap
  • CGM
    I know a lot of people at St. Gertrude's, including the excellent music director. Wonderful community! And the Dominican novices are there, so plenty of friars-in-formation passing through.
  • Thank you SO much, everyone!! This gives us an excellent “refresh” in our search, and I really appreciate your help.
  • Not in Cincinnati, probably an hour's or so drive are two Ordinariate parishes -

St Joseph of Arimathea in Indianapolis
    Our Lady and St John in Louisville
  • Mariap, Did you find a parish to call home? I am also a chorister and chantress (not to be confused with enchantress) moving to the area. St. Gertrude has been highly recommended so far.

-Hilary
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Immaculate Conception in Norwood is none too shabby from what I've heard as well. Right across the river in Walton there's also Our Lady of the Assumption; they'd had some changeover music-wise but from what I understand they're still pretty good.

St Joseph of Arimathea in Indianapolis

Is more like an hour and a half. Plus its status is "up in the air" at the moment - although the parish hosting it (Holy Rosary) does have an excellent choir for both OF and EF masses.
  • In the interests of full disclosure, Imm. Conc. in Norwood is SSPV and Assumption in Walton is SSPX. Holy Rosary is also in Indianapolis and has an excellent music program with EF and OF (and Anglican Use).
  • chonakchonak
    (Since SSPV is not in communion with the Holy See, it seems likely that attending Mass at their church would not fulfill the Sunday obligation.)