Divine Mercy Sunday
  • I am curious as to what extent sacred musicians' decisions will be influenced this Sunday by the relatively recent title given to the second Sunday of Easter, "Divine Mercy Sunday."

One can read a little more here: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20020629_decree-ii_en.html

I wonder how deeply this title can or should "sink in" to the liturgy this Sunday. Certainly, the readings are not affected or changed, nor the propers. If one is in the situation of picking a meditational piece, however, how deeply should this choice be informed by the remembrance of Divine Mercy, the indulgence attached to this remembrance, and St. Faustina's gift to the Church in her devotion ("Jesus, I trust in You")?

Perhaps the Decree posted above answers this question by recounting the happenings of the Gospel for this Sunday: Christ's appearance to Doubting Thomas, His breathing on the apostles and telling them, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained'" (Jn 20,19-23). In many ways, this Sunday is apt for a remembrance of mercy. If this is true, then, there need not be a "crisis" of decision: choosing music according to the Second Sunday of Easter texts would be choosing music according to the Divine Mercy remembrance.

There. It seems I (or the Church more intelligent than I) have answered my own question. So why did I post? To hear myself talk, and to see what others are doing. How are you choosing music for this Sunday?
  • CharlesW
    I have chosen mass music for the 2nd Sunday of Easter. The Divine Mercy devotions are after the last morning mass and are separate from it. There's no relation between the two. One is an Easter season mass, one is a devotion.
  • GavinGavin
    It was largely something I ignored in my planning. That Sunday has enough names: Low Sunday, Quasimodo, Dominica in Albis, etc.