Need article sources ASAP
  • Help - the past choir director wants proof that the new translation extends to the Psalms!!!! I can't believe I am dealing with this 7 YEARS post.
  • Which psalms do you mean?

If you mean the responsorial psalm, that is part of the lectionary and not the Roman Missal, so it was not part of the new Missal translation implemented in 2011. I believe the New American Bible and Grail translations are the approved English editions of the psalms in the US.

As for the "respond" part of the responsorial psalm, that is translated separately by ICEL (i.e., it is not taken from the above-mentioned English translations of the Bible).
  • Can you be a bit more specific, give an example (and tell if not in US)
  • Valerie,

If the problem is that someone wants to use inclusive language, you'll find that covered in various documents disparaging the use of such.... and not published or implemented in most dioceses.

If the problem is that someone wants to sing (for example) On Eagle's Wings, with modern edits, instead of singing the psalm as David wrote it, then you're arguing over repertoire and appropriateness, not translation.

Try this on for reasoning: the Missal was retranslated to represent the Latin text, instead of some unreasonable facsimile of it; surely, to be consistent, one may not use a bad psalm text?
  • Sorry, was in a hurry and wasn't specific enough. I am in the USA. The Responsorial Psalms post 2010 are different to go with the NAB, no? I know Grail has a new translation as well.
  • Liam
    The New Grail translation hasn't yet been incorporated into a Lectionary edition. It will eventually be. But GIRM 61 as adapted for the USA also grandfathers - for use in *sung* Responsorial Psalms - translations of the psalms previously approved for liturgical use.
    Thanked by 1ValerieOestry
  • Ugh. I haven't used those sing-song psalms from GIA in years. But they are still using them here at my new job. I suppose since I had already transitioned to the Grail at my last job, I just assumed the NAB had been adapted to the other Responsorial Psalms as well. Silly me for assuming. Thanks for the info. Hopefully the Grail will be incorporated soon!!!!
  • Actually, in light of Magnum Principium, I wonder if all bets are off as to further translations. Surely those bishops who favor a more flexible approach to translation of ritual texts are now emboldened.
  • Liam
    Valerie

If by "sing-song" psalms you mean paraphrases, well, you still have grounds to avoid programming those as the responsorial psalm, as they are not psalm translations as such approved for liturgical use as a scriptural translation.

Further background in this thread from over 7 years ago.

https://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/32282#Comment_32282

• Magnum Principium could, if translated according to Comme le Prevoit, be read to say the following:

"It is best that the bishops make up new stuff"

or

"Strict adherence to the principles of Liturgiam Authenticam is to be followed"

• Valerie,

You are correct that the US bishops approved the Conception Abbey revision of the Grail Psalter for liturgical use. This was separate from the approval of the new Missal translation, but happened around the same time: in November 2008.

When this action of the US bishops received the necessary recognitio from the Holy See, an explanation of what this means appeared in the "Bishops Committee on Divine Worship Newsletter" Volume XLVI (April 2010), p. 13. As this publication is the source for official texts of the bishops decrees, I think it is the reference you are looking for. It says in part;

On March 19, 2010, the Solemnity of Saint Joseph, the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments confirmed the Revised Grail Psalter by the Monks of Conception Abbey for use in the dioceses of the United States of America. This text will become the English-language Psalter to be used in all future books, including the sacraments and the Liturgy of the Hours.

While the New American Bible translation of the Psalms as contained in the Lectionary remains the official translation of the Responsorial Psalms, the Revised Grail Psalter is now considered approved for use within the Liturgy, and may be included in seasonal and annual hymnals and participation aids. Composers of liturgical music can use the text of the Revised Grail Psalter especially in preparing arrangements of Psalms for use at Mass, even though it will be some time before new editions of affected texts are published. [Emphasis added]

That is, the Revised Grail Psalter is permitted for use at the liturgy now, though the NAB Psalms are still in use as well until new editions of the liturgical books are published.

This issue of the BCDW Newsletter was also reprinted in the compilation "Ten Years of the Newsletter: 2001–2010" published by the Committee on Divine Worship in 2011. In that volume the passage quoted above appears on p. 483.

Hope this helps.

Susan
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen eft94530