Is there something I'm missing? This chant performance doesn't sound right.
  • I hear stresses on the icti (if that's a word), but the chant doesn't seem to follow what's on the page.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRU651eAAcc
  • It's awfully wooden.
    Like a paint by number work.
    It isn't music.
  • WGS
    This choir would benefit from singing psalms to psalm tones and thereby learn how to string the Latin words together.

And there is a related benefit for a beginning choir to use Rossini proper settings in order to get the "feel" of the modes. - then progress to the proper psalm of the Introit and then to the proper antiphon.

And I would certainly not look for stresses on the ictus. It's not like a down beat. It's an indication of the rhythmic flow.
  • What's up with not following the neumes/pitches written on the page, though?
  • MatthewRoth
    I know of a recording of the Lenten Te lucis ante terminum where a podatus regularly sung on the syllable after which it appears in the correct melody. Oops!
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Folks, I think the joke is on you.

As far as I can tell, this is actually a quite good ensemble, carefully making use of modern scholarship and semiology in a certain way:

Observe how the melody exactly matches (once you subtract the liquescents) to THIS.

No?
  • That's the answer I was looking for, I figured it had to do with some sort of semiology. I don't know anything about that, though.
  • I agree with Jonathan.
    Though it is wooden, it is artfully wooden, like a nuanced satire
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I think their performance brings the diction to the forefront, and therefore makes it easier to discern each individual word of the text. I think the performance was good, reverently rendered, and sung with excellent diction.
  • dad29
    nuanced satire

• Wow. That the first reactions here were to trash this performance (based on some amorphous, anachronistic aesthetic constant) rather than to inquire about its origins and basis seems both anti-intellectual and self-serving.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I found it very interesting. At the beginning I was confused, but since they were consistent in their rendition, after the initial surprise, I thought it quite nice.

That doesn't mean that I'd ever chant in this manner if I had a choice, but I feel that way about less conspicuous manners of chanting, as well. For example, I've never felt the need to adjust lengths/iterations of neumes based on anyone's opinion of "but the phrases have to be either of 2 or 3, and that's that."
  • Liam
    The performers are the Schola Cantorum Sancta Cecilia in Leiden (Netherlands).

Here's a visual of the chapel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnT2pcsM2g
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The initial song on Liam's video is to an operatic tune by Handel. I can't recall the original words right now, but they are to the effect of 'Hail the conquering hero...'. Who can jog my memory?
  • MarkS
    It's the march from Judas Maccabeus. I think you have the words about right!
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • a_f_hawkins
    Hymns Ancient & Modern, New Standard Edition‎ #428 'Thine be the glory'
    written by Handel in 1747, intended for use in Handel's Joshua oratorio; however, when it was played, it was popular enough that Handel added it to Judas Maccabaeus. 'See the conquering hero comes'
    PS I hate this use of "NEW", in this case 1983!
  • Liam
    Which hailed the Duke of Cumberland (aka Butcher of Culloden).
  • It is paired with the text Tochter Sion amongst some Lutherans.
  • And, once again, a thread descends into trivial banter that belongs on Its own thread so labeled or on FB.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz chonak