• Kathy
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Clever, Kathy.... BUT -

No one would ever think of the poor when building 'a massive auditorium with five projectors, a state-of-the-art sound system, lazer lights, six smoke machines and a Christian rock band'. No, never would the poor be thought of, nor would anyone suggest it's poor stewardship of the Lord's treasury.

This would only happen (faster than one could bat an eye!) when someone suggested that the church needed an organ, or the choir needed new choir habit, or choir music, or section leaders, or better liturgical vestments and such, etc., etc. (Has anyone noticed that the church can and will buy just about anything it feels it needs or wants, but an organ will in most instances by far go begging for donors?)
  • CharlesW
    Love the cartoon.

I am all for helping the poor and substantially support a couple of Catholic charity groups. However, some of the poor cause their own poverty through choices that can only be charitably called, stupid.

There was a time when only the best of everything was considered fit for the Lord of all creation. It amazes me that some so-called "charity" gives to everyone but God. I wonder if a situation similar to Malachi occurs where God rightly feels we have robbed him of what is justly his due.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The NO is anthropocentric, and and therefore emphasizes people over God and the Church. My personal theory is that it goes hand in hand with the Protestant notion that the church is the people who inhabit it, and if there are no people, there is no Church. I think the Church is the safeguard of the deposit of faith and would exist even if there was nobody in it.
  • Liam
    The Church is a person not a thing, so there cannot be nobody in Her, definitionally.
  • Kathy
    "These sacred vestments are far too gilded! Throw them away immediately and buy all new ones, polyester! Hurry, people are going hungry!

And pick up some of those earthenware cups while you're out."
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • melofluentmelofluent
    We hold a treasure, not made of gold,
    In earthen vessels wealth untold.....
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • But wait, you forgot about the musicians on that expensive stage who are expected to play for free or "for the Lord" and who can barely afford to make ends meet. Had a friend and colleague who did this for an entire year at an extremely wealthy mega church...
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Well, yeah, how much should people really pay for entertainment, anyway? Those musicians are doing it because they like it, right?
  • Kathy
    For "exposure."