Monks of Prinknash & Nuns of Stanbrook - Compline plus album
  • mjballoumjballou
    When you've recovered from Holy Week and Easter, here's an album you might want to consider. Especially if you work with women's voices. Compline and Other Chants

I found it on emusic, where you can listen to clips. The Prinknash Abbey monks stay with the traditional Gregorian. Stanbrook Abbey undertook a great deal of composition after Vatican II, moving into the vernacular for much of their office. And while it's not the same, it's worth a listen. Also deserving your attention is their use of the organ and the fine voices. Perhaps they audition their vocations? (Just kidding.)
  • mjballoumjballou
    I hope someone appreciates my link - following the directions provided in Learn to Link or Die.
  • I know I appreciate it!
  • It is sad to ponder that Stanbrook Abbey is now no more. The few remaining nuns having been rounded up and sent to a "retirement" home/abbey in Yorkshire, and the once proud abbey with chapel by Pugin awaits an unsure future. One wonders what their once famous Abbess, Dame Laurentia would make of it all, she whom George Bernard Shaw once styled "the enclosed nun with the unenclosed mind..." and great friend of Dom Moquereau, responsible for bringing the Solesmes reforms to monastic houses throughout England.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Incredibly, mjballou, I had to fix your link!! < a hred is not html. < a href is

some teacher I am!
  • mjballoumjballou
    No, I'm a lousy typist. I promise to proofread my links in future.
  • mjballoumjballou
    I forgot to ask if this means I have to die. Perhaps I could ask for a delay.
    While Stanbrook Abbey is greatly diminished in numbers from its glory days in the first half of the 20th century, they do have a couple of novices and a postulant. Dum spiro, spero.