He sprinkles the branches without saying anything
  • Andrew_Malton
    The OF rubric for Blessing The Palms directs the priest to say one of two short prayers, and then "without saying anything" to bless the palms with holy water. There is no Distribution of Palms: the rite clearly envisages the palms being already in the hands of the faithful. A far cry, indeed, from the Roman tradition on Palm Sunday. But it raises a practical question, and I wonder what happens at your various parishes. The practical question is of how to manage the sprinkling of all those palms in all those hands. It seems like a Sprinkling Rite, even though there is no explicit mention of passing through the whole church. And in silence.

In my parish the priest, who perhaps is uncomfortable with long silences and with too much unusual ceremony, will do this action instead of the procession. He'll pass through the whole church sprinkling with Holy water the faithful and their palms, like aspersion, but while All Glory, Praise, and Honour (ST THEODULPH) is sung; and then he'll read the first Gospel and proceed to start Mass. Well, that isn't what it says to do, but at least thereby he gets to shorten a long service (check) and avoid a second journey through the church (check).

Does anyone else('s clergy) see this as an issue?
  • All Glory, Laud, and Honour (Lol, CBW messes everything up) is sung after the Palms are blest and during the procession at my church. The sprinkling is quite short, and doesn't reach about 75% of the palms but it seems to get the job done for a priest who thinks that the Mass will attract more people if shorter.

At the Cathedral this year, for the first time ever, the Weelkes Hosanna to the Son will be sung from the gallery, and then the choir will exit the gallery and proceed in procession to the choir stalls at the front. Not sure how blessing of Palms will go because now we aren't dealing with crazy amounts of scaffolding.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    (Laus means praise, laudo means I praise. So, that really isn't a big deal.

Translating "Gloria, laus et honor tibi sit" into "glory, laud and honor, and praise," is adding a bit, though.)
  • BenBen
    A far cry, indeed, from the Roman tradition

As is the rest of the Novus Ordo...

[slowly backing away]
  • a_f_hawkins
    I notice lots of 'do this, if appropriate' in the rubrics, which I guess is fair enough given the variety of spaces and congregation sizes and musical forces. But what does it mean by 'Omitting the other Introductory rites and, if appropriate, the Kyrie?
  • Andrew_Malton
    I think "if appropriate", which translates "pro opportunitate", expresses a somewhat neutral option: "as may seem fit". It hardly seems that "appropriate" sets a very high bar, seeing as how often it's used. Over against "si placet", if desired, clearly only used when the option is some kind of additional action, and "potest", it is possible, just for enumerating what the possibilities are. In GIRM #88 you can see both option words used in successive clauses.

"Omitting the initial rites and optionally even the Kyrie."
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ...Weelkes'....
    I wish I could hear it!
    Why, I think that we are not even doing that at Walsingham!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • JonLaird
    Both of our priests walk throughout the entire church in silence for the sprinkling of the palms. It is a fairly large church in the half-round with a few somewhat awkward "inlet" half-aisles into the pews, but it always makes an impression on me that our pastor, who often strikes me as something of a minimalist, quite carefully covers every aisle and corner, before returning to the entrance to continue with the Gospel and then entrance.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Weelkes: Hosanna to the Son of David

Original key (AATTBB): King's College Choir

Transposed (SSATBB): Oxford Camerata

Scores for both voicings: CPDL.
    Thanked by 2MarkS CCooze
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hosanna filio David for the migration from pews to the entrance. In the past we've sung the Schubert Pueri Hebraeorum &c other antiphons from the loft for 'Distribution'. At the early Masses this year the passing of palms continued during the Gospel; the 11:00 had a stretch of sacred silence, punctured by "Btw everybody, how are you all doing today?"
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    a stretch of sacred silence, punctured

At least this time it was not punctured thusly ..
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/comment/161089#Comment_161089
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix