Australian premiere
  • ThurlowThurlow
    On Saturday March 28, at 2.30 pm in St. Patrick's Cathedral, Ballarat, Australia, the St Cecilia Singers will present the World Premiere of the Missa Solemnis I completed last year. Also making its premiere is my English Baroque-style SATB/Organ anthem "O Zion Awake! Rejoice!"

While I'm thrilled about the concert premiere of my Missa, I also hope that some day it can be used as intended: as the Ordinary.
  • Congratulations! I wish you every success... please share the results with us.
  • ThurlowThurlow
    The director emailed me to inform that the concert was quite a success! He estimates attendance about 150, though he hasn't received an actual count yet. He wrote a brass arrangement to work with the organ accompaniment for "O Zion..." so I'm most eager for the CD to arrive in the mail. It seems the Missa and and anthem were *very* well received.

I know there are a number of other composers on the forums here. I'm sure you can understand the excitement of having a major choral work of one's own composition premiered like this and have it warmly received. The positive response is also an affirmation that one has done well, and allowed -- though music -- opportunity to let people hear the Voice of God in their lives.
  • francis
    Congratulations Thurlow!

There are very few sacred music premiers in our day! I will be anxious to hear your recordings. Be sure to direct us to a link if possible.

I am conducting a premier In two weeks and have managed to draw choralists and instrumentalists from numerous churches in the area. One of the singers I am beginning to win back to the church by restoring excellence in music at our parish which has been in disrepair for a good amount of time. Music is so central to our spiritual being that souls can easily be lost and/or swayed by it's proper or improper employment.

Do keep us informed!
  • ThurlowThurlow
    It seems the concert was reviewed. I cannot quite make out the reviewer's name in the current somewhat blurry copy that was forwarded, hopefully can give credit later. Excerpts from review: World Premiere by City Choir -- The St Cecilia Singers is an important institution in the local musical scene and has helped to maintain a strong choral tradition in Ballarat. Last Saturday, at St Patrick's Cathedral, the ensemble delivered the world premiere of the Missa Solemnis, composed by Thurlow Weed, a contemporary American composer. The style of the writing is conservative, paying homage to the Anglo-Catholic tradition of sacred music, resulting in beautifully shaped melodies and rich harmonies.... The organ accompaniment, by Asako Saito, was quite economical, being supportive while making its own comments on the text."

As this is my first-ever review, I'm thrilled!! I'm *SO* looking forward to the arrival next week of the CD and also DVD recording of the concert.

Incidentally, the Gloria & Credo have had their openings re-worked in a second version that allows for the correct intonations to be used. The original versions didn't do this.