OneLicense.net and LicenSingOnline.org to Merge
  • ronkrisman
    Last Friday I received a personalized letter from Oregon Catholic Press, dated December 5, stating that its LicenSingOnline.org will merge with OneLicense.net, effective January 1, 2017. The new company will retain the ONE LICENSE name.

A few sentences in the letter lead me to believe that it was sent to composers whose works have been published by OCP and/or GIA.

There has yet to be any announcement of this merger either on the GIA Publications website or on the OneLicence.net website. I imagine that the FAQ included with the OCP letter I received will be posted on those websites in due time.
  • francis
    anything I use from those orgs represent .02 % of music I employ in liturgy and only represent the forced use of four songs at funerals. Guess which ones? I always tell the family they would have to pay for the licensing for use. That sometimes eliminates my need to play those terrible selections as they would rather not spend the twenty bucks.

everything else I use is PD, almost exclusively GC and polyphony of old.
  • Onelicense does have a much better interface for reporting than Licensing does. I wonder what this merger will do to the fee schedule and if WLP will join or remain separate.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo BruceL
  • rich_enough
    The announcement is now up at the OneLicense website.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • eft94530eft94530
    Purple=ON

One ring to ...
  • I just received notice that WLP is also going to participate in OneLicense starting March 1, 2017.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • I’ve had mixed feelings on this one. I suppose it’s good that suburban parishes will save a bit of $$, but honestly, I feel like this just makes it easier for those churches to yoke themselves blissfully to commercial music.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also if these prices rise it hurts places that just happily have one license. (Pun intended).
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • music123
    Come on, guys. A little unity is nice. The Protestants have had one license for years (CPDL). Making it a wee bit easier to actually be legal never hurt anyone. And there is good stuff out there that could be called "commercial music." I hope to have some of that published myself someday, actually.

I guess we shall see what the true effect is when we see the new prices, though!
  • CCLI i think you mean ....
  • So is this the next to last step before CCLI and Onelicense merge and we have a true monopoly?
  • I wouldn't mind a monopoly - it would give churches no excuse for using music they don't have a license for.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • francis
    come on people... give me the number of titles that are actually good and appropriate for the liturgy even if they merged.
  • That's a matter of opinion man.
  • CharlesW

Public domain, IMSLP, the best way to go.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The Protestants have had one license for years (CPDL).

I do not understand this comment at all. What does CPDL have to do with OneLicense and with Protestants? I am president of CPDL and a long time contributor there, and I can assure you that there are a number of non-Protestant (eg. Catholic) contributors of works in the CPDL collection. Several of these contributors are members of CMAA and participate in the MusicaSacra forums.
  • CHGiffen you've been mixed up with CCLI. CCLI is the largest copyright administrator of largely Protestant publishers. It appears your organization works with public domain music.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Chuck is not responsible for the mix up; he's quoting Music123.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • So is this the next to last step before CCLI and Onelicense merge and we have a true monopoly?

Ahh, you do realise that there's a big world outside of the USA? CCLI is international, but Onelicense is anything but.

In the UK/I, we still have Decani / Calamus licencing as a major force.
    Australasia has Word of Life.

There don't seem to be options for Asia and Africa apart from CCLI, even though CCLI's catalogs simply don't cover the material which a lot of more mainstream churches use. And I don't speak enough other languages to be able to assess the situation for the rest of Europe.
  • PaxMelodius - fair points. It would be great if Onelicense could negotiate to be the sole manager of Catholic music copyrights worldwide. In some cases, they manage copyrights in the USA but not Europe, particularly in the example of Taize. This would be in every publisher's interest because a global copyright administration system would pretty much invalidate any excuse for not having licensed music at your church.

My observation in all of this is that CCLI has been lightyears ahead of the Catholic publishers and is playing catchup. CCLI songselect has no parallel in ease of use.