Using Metrical Indexes when Tune has a Copyrighted Text
  • Hello, all,

I have a question. I found a lovely tune for a bride who is to be wed in March, "Love has Brought us Here Together." The problem is, the same tune (Hyfrydol) is also used for "Alleluia, Sing to Jesus," and hardly seems appropriate to me for a Lenten wedding.

I turned to the metrical index for help and yay! It's a 8 7 8 7 D, which means I could use the more appropriate "Saltash" which is more commonly known in our Catholic circles for being the melody to "Sing of Mary, Pure and Lowly." One problem - the wedding tune's text is copyrighted 2010 by GIA and Mary Louise Bingle.

Would I have to contact either of those two for permission before putting the new tune "Saltash" underneath the text of "Love Has Brought us Here Together?" My gut says yes, but then I say boo for not being able to use the metrical index to its full potential.

I welcome your thoughts - I am yet but only a half year into being a liturgy director and can use all the advice I can get.
  • Kathy
    It's a good question.

Who is singing this?
  • It would be sung by all at this wedding.
  • Kathy
    Do you have a license with GIA?
  • Kathy
    If so, the license probably has terms that cover this question (underlining their text with your tune), and their website or reps can answer it for you.

If not, you need a license, either one time or ongoing, to print the text.
  • Interesting case: the text is obviously copyrighted, as is the arrangement of the public domain tune.

But is the combination of the text and the tune also copyrighted? And if so, does that mean that you can only sing this text to this particular tune? As to the latter, I would say 'no', but that's just my guts...
  • You didn't find a tune. You found a text, which has a suggested tune.

If you want to use a separate tune which is public domain, you can use it (the tune) anywhere anytime without restriction.

In most countries you can also sing the text in a church during a worship service without getting permission - copyright law has this exception for churches.

But if you want to print the text somewhere, then you need permission or a license. The text owner may not want to give permission to print it with a different tune. But if you print it separately to the tune i cannot see how they could refuse.
    Thanked by 3Adam Wood Kathy CCooze
  • I have the GIA onelicense.net and I might not even be printing the words, the pianist would just maybe play different melody underneath. Although printing the words would be the least confusing option for the congregation, now that I think about it.

Thanks everyone!
  • Kathy
    Yes, printing words only would work well.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood TeresaW