EF Christmas Mass at Dawn
  • This is idle curiosity, but has anyone here ever sung the Propers for the Mass at Dawn (Lux fulgebit etc.)? I never have. The subject came up at rehearsal, and we found that the Liber Brevior that we use doesn't even have them. With Midnight Mass being the deal it is, it's not the most popular Mass time.
  • tomjaw
    We have sung them, mainly because our priest had 3 Masses to say on Christmas, so the first day Mass had to be the dawn Mass.
  • JahazaJahaza
    I haven't sung them (I was MC), but when we had the Tridentine Mass at Our Saviour in NYC, we celebrated a Vigil Mass in the OF around 7PM, sung Novus Ordo "in nocte" at 11:30PM, a Sung Mass at Dawn in the EF at 9:30AM, and the Sung OF Mass during the day in the OF at 11AM.
  • I will on Sunday.
  • We sang all 3 Masses of Christmas at St Stephen's, Sacramento- the Mass at dawn was usually just done by a smallish group of cantors and directed by my assistant, to give me a couple more hours of precious sleep before the 3rd Mass. of the three Masses, the 2nd is most difficult
  • I'm not sure that when there are multiple Masses on Christmas morning that the first one is to be the Mass at Dawn. I think it is in the rubrics that it really is to be a Mass at the actual break of day. But I'm not positive (as only fools are!) and would like to know!
  • tomjaw
    I can't see anything about it must be said at Dawn... Anyway the priest may not want to sing the same Mass twice!
  • Yes, a schola I used to sing with did this. The regular TLM was at 7:30 or 8 am, and we did the Dawn Mass several times at the priest's request. That congregation didn't have a TLM Midnight Mass, but many schola members sang elsewhere at midnight.

The Canons of New Jerusalem schedule says they're singing the dawn Mass at 6:30.
  • MatthewRoth
    The Masses are to be said in order, and pretty much all authors note that the times are no longer exact for reasons of sleep!
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • I would like to be someplace where all three are done, whether I "doing them" or just attending. Either would be fine with me. In fact, I might even like it more from the pew!
  • MatthewRoth
    We had nine Christmas Masses between St. Francis de Sales in St. Louis and Cahokia IL as well as an additional private Mass. It began at 10:30 pm or so and wrapped up by 12:40 the next day.