Graduale Simplex Alleluia Verses
  • When it comes to singing chants from the Graduale Simplex the GIRM usually mentions it explicitly. So for example para 48 for the introit or 61 for the responsorial psalm.

But for the Alleluia verses before the Gospel, paragraph 62, the Simplex is not mentioned. Is this an oversight? or is the Simplex included implicitly in the general "verses may be taken from the Gradual"? Or are the Alleluia verses in the Simplex not allowed to be used? The GIRM really wants the verses to be taken from the Lectionary, it seems. Unfortunately that makes the Simplex's way of doing the Alleluia more difficult to use, because its 3-fold Alleluias are not presented with the Lectionary verses.
  • chonakchonak
    The GIRM #62 says, of the Alleluia: "The verses are taken from the Lectionary or the Graduale."
    I would take that as including both Graduale books.
  • Well, I think that its not mentioning the Simplex pretty obviously means that one is not supposed to sing little the three-fold alleluya ditty but a real mass alleluya, complete with jubilus, from the GR.
  • a_f_hawkins
    An acclamation of this kind constitutes a rite or act in itself, by which the gathering of the faithful welcomes and greets the Lord ... It is sung by everybody, standing ...
    This clearly re-purposes the alleluia, and seems intended to inhibit/prevent the use of a jubilus, which is more of an extended meditation and quite impossible for congregational singing. But then perhaps these triplets were imported to provide the congregation with something more extended and meditative which they could sing. I don't have a 1967 GS, but I imagine they did not appear there, judging by Ainslie's 1969 version in English, which has a concordat. This re-purposing is also reflected in the transposition of alleluia and sequence.
  • Much as I respect Mr Hawkins I must say that suggesting that the congregation are incapable of singing a jubilus is less than a thoughtful consideration of reality. We sing them at Walsingham all the time. Just now, during Advent, we are singing the Mode IV one which appears in GR for Advent III and other times. Are we never going to stop selling the people short and assuming that they can't do what they've never been challenged to do? During Advent at Walsingham we are singing the cum jubilo mass in English, which is quite commonly known by Episcopalians in the US as The Fourth Communion Service. Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei - all somewhat melismatic and sung with confidence by around two-hundred souls. They don't know that they can't do it - and would laugh if one said that they couldn't. They love it. A jubilus is nothing. Nothing but pure joy.

(I hadn't intended to re-open this matter, which is why I put the above quip in purple, but I can't let it pass that the people are incapable of singing a mere jubilus. They ARE capable!)
  • a_f_hawkins
    I recant, that one is both feasible and nice. It would have been better if they had found a few like that for the GS. But, in mitigation, I have heard an ex Kings College tenor get lost in a GR Alleluia.
    Does anyone use the GS alternative of Psalmus alleluiaticus? They look rather dull to me, and I have never heard one. The idea of going through the whole Paschal season with the same two pairs of those does not appeal to me.