Alma Parens, omni carens--hymn for Our Lady of Guadalupe
  • Kathy
    Looking for the Gregorian melody for this office hymn. Does anyone know it? Thank you very much!
  • tomjaw
    It is in the Pius X hymnal... I do not have a copy to check.

It is not in the global chant database.

Alan Mcdougall has translated it, to give "Holy Mother all Unknowing"

It is given as a Lauds Hymn in use 1935, but I can't find out where it was used. Is it in the the U.S. supplement?

EDIT. Just checked the Liber's supplement and it does not have Lauds, the Vespers of the feast is identical to that in my book of the "The Day hours, 1935 ed."

Any one with an Antiphonal with the US supplement?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Anyone?
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The tune in the Pius X Hymnal is Mainz ... not Gregorian, unfortunately.
    Thanked by 2tomjaw Kathy
  • tomjaw
    Unfortunately our visitor from Clear Creek does not have all of his books, but it looks like they have a melody for this Hymn.
  • monjemonje
    Katy, here's the hymn Alma Parens. Unfortunately it's over the guadalupensis fest. For next year! You have to transform it to modern notation gregorian notation, please.
  • Kathy
    Thank you!
  • I'm going to use the hymn Alma parens provided above for the recording I will make for my Lauds blog project for Dec. 12th.

I have found the 5 antiphons for the psalms in the Liber Usualis.

However, for the Benedictus Antiphon Quasi arcus, I have only been able to find it in the AR 1912, on p. 658. This is useable, but I was wondering: does anyone have this antiphon with rhythmic signs? (Modern notation like the above would be fine, actually.)
  • CGM
    literal translation here, in case anyone's interested
  • CGM
    there's a literal translation of it here, in case anyone's interested
  • tomjaw
    Has anyone got the melody above in chant notation, I was not able to find it in the chant database.
  • We are doing a Rorate Mass for Guadalupe this Saturday, followed by sung EF Lauds. It is helpful finding the Benedictus Antiphon mentioned above in the AR pg. 658.

Did anyone do a chant notation version of the Lauds Hymn: Alma Parens, omni carens? I am thankful for the music posted, but it would be terrific to get it in chant notation.
  • @ Father Anderson
    Please look this over Father, I couldn't fit the Title, nor commentary from the version previously posted, but all the same, I hope it works out.
  • there's a literal translation of it here, in case anyone's interested

I am, but alas, 4 years later, the link only gets to the landing page of the fisheaters.com forum. A search engine got me to a discussion, but the links don't work to where the translation probably was.

Does anyone have this somewhere else?
  • Chrism
    Not sure if I found the original thread, but a translation of the whole office (including the hymn Alma Parens omni carens) can be found here (archive.org).

Thanked by 2JonathanKK CGM
  • CGM
    the very same
  • DCM
    Not sure if anyone still wants or needs this, but since the above forum links are dead, here is the same translation, which comes from Lauds, Vespers and Compline in English (Liturgical Press, 1965). I'm almost certain the translator is Joseph Connelly, though it's not to be found in his Hymns of the Roman Liturgy. The text is subtitled "From St. Anselm, Bishop of Canterbury".

Loving Mother, free of all stain of corruption, chosen by him who broke the chains of dread death,

In your kindness grant that those who rejoice in keeping your feasts may find true happiness in the radiance of the true light.

First of all, increase our faith by prayers, guide our wavering spirits with hope and strengthen them with charity.

Mother of God, cause and source of our hope, take away wars and afflictions, famine, plague and violence.

Relieve the sorrows of the needy and of those in prison; listen to the prayers of the sick and give them the healing they long for.

Let peace and quiet make their lives most joyful. Make friends of our enemies; calm the passions of evil men.

O Mary, loving Mother, give us your help, that we may reign forever, praising your Son.

God the Father, God the Son, God the loving Spirit, God the Trinity, govern us for endless ages. Amen.

A verse translation can be found at https://www.divinumofficium.com if you set it to "Rubrics 1960 - 2020 USA", Dec 12 at Lauds. Proper LotH hymns for Lauds and Vespers of the feast can be found at http://www.ibreviary.com/, taken from the new Divine Office Hymnal.
    Thanked by 3Chrism tomjaw CHGiffen