English Chant Request - Alma Redemptoris Mater
  • KyleM18
    Does anyone have an chant of this (simple tone) in either traditional or modern sacral english? I would use it for my school's "Solemn" Mass of the Immaculate Conception this thursday similar to how Notre Dame de Paris uses it. Thank you! (This is the first time my school would be singing a marian antiphon, but they don't want latin, sadly).
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • This is found in an Anglican English version in St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter, published by the Lancelot Andrewes Press. All the Marian antiphons, together with their versicles and collects are in this book, which ought to be had by all. In addition to the entire Coverdale psalter are the New Testament canticles, each in all the eight tones, and the four Marian antiphons, plus an order for compline, the tones for the lectionary, and more. I could not recommend a book more highly than this one, graced throughout with Square Notes.

Tomorrow I shall try to scan the antiphon that you want and put it up here. I can't guarantee right now that this effort will be successful because my printer is not working well at this time.
  • I have scanned the antiphon but can't seem to get it to attach here.
    Sorry.
    You really need to get this book.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • Here's a setting by Fr. Columba Kelly.
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 bonniebede
  • Just bought St Dunstan's Plainsong Psalter, directly from the Lancelot Andrewes Press. Only $30, Free shipping!! Must use PayPal, however. I pulled the trigger before I realized I was getting the hardcover. I really just wanted the softcover.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • One caveat - take a goodly portion of the commentaries with a grain of salt. Some of them are very dated, some are rather wrong, and some amusingly subjective. Others have value - such as the interesting-but-brief notes on the Sarum Use.
  • Here are mine from By Flowing Waters.
  • Just looking forward to Advent, how time flies.
    Here is a PDF of Alma Redemptoris Mater in English and Latin prepped for my children's schola. I've tried to make sure the English words would teach the right emphases, so that they can segue comfortably into learning the Latin.