Advent / New Liturgical Year Plans?
  • Kathy
    ...and go!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    To retire seamlessly, to experience fully.
  • CharlesW
    To survive without choking the crap out of some deserving Catholic. ;-)
    Thanked by 2Vilyanor bhcordova
  • New ordinary mass parts, new color of paper!
  • canadashcanadash
    New ordinary mass parts, new color of paper!

Us too!
  • SalieriSalieri
    In general the new Pastor would like MORE LATIN!, so I'll see what I can do about that.

This Advent, we will be using Mass XVII in toto. We have been doing the Agnus from that Mass during OT, and have done the Kyrie the past few Advents/Lents, so the only thing really new is the Sanctus -- but we have done that on Laetare and Gaudete for a few years.

We will be carrying Sanctus XVII over into OT (remember that in many pre-Solesmes Kyrials Sanctus and Agnus XVII were give for Sundays per Annum), as well as Agnus XVII.

Christmas/Easter will have Mass VIII.

I am considering for Sundays in OT using the Gloria in English on most Sundays (it has been the only English Ordinary movement sung -- not counting dialogues and the Memorial Acclamation), but using a Gloria in Latin on the First Sunday of the Month. I have considered the Ambrosian Gloria and Gloria XV, but I'm also thinking of Gloria XI since we already use Kyrie orbis Factor on Sundays of OT. Too many choices!
  • Unaccompanied Ordinary, partially Latin chant, on Advent I, II, & IV.

Palestrina's Alma Redemptoris on Advent III (they know the simple chant already). Goudimel's motet setting of "GENEVA 42/Comfort, Comfort Ye." A choral setting of the prose "Rorate Caeli."

Convincing my pastor to do a votive of Our Lady by candlelight on the Saturday preceding Advent IV, even in the New Rite, if need be.

Choral chanting of the proper at least in psalm-tone each Sunday.

• -b
    In a parish new to me, pastor wants better music and Latin to be gradually introduced at the early Mass each Sunday. I'm new to leading a choir at a novus ordo Mass, but have long experience with Gregorian propers for Mass using the 1962 Missal.

We debut tomorrow, using Richard Rice's Mass of St. Theodore. Everybody loves it. We're reading from chant notation, also going down well.

Unresolved question: the Responsorial Psalm. Can I get around having a solo cantor at the pulpit?

11th-hour debate continues. I had hoped choir and organ could lead the congregation in the refrain; verses chanted in psalm tones alternating men/women of the choir. Choir sings from the side in this church, a sort of modified transept. Current concensus, in order not to abruptly introduce discomforting change, is cantor out front cuing the congregation for the refrain (as if they need it?), and cantor sings verses solo because choir wouldn't be together with cantor, because cantor is at a distance from the choir. Headache for me.

Would appreciate hearing--soon!-- how others handle this part. Thanks.
  • -b

There's no requirement that the cantor be at the pulpit -- in fact, there's a prohibition of it, I think, but I'm open to correction on this point. Ordinarily, the cantor (cantrix) sings from something called an ambo -- which is distinct from the pulpit -- but there's nothing* which precludes the following:

1) if there is a choir loft, having the cantor (cantrix) sing from the choir loft.
    2) the psalm being sung according to the Graduale, by the entire choir.
    3) the psalm being sung using the gift of Anglican chant, therefore in parts.
    4) the entire congregation singing the psalm, either antiphonally or according to some other plan.

* If there is no choir loft, obviously, the cantor (cantrix) can't sing from the choir loft; additionally, bloody-mind liturgy committees; and, mis-educated priests; and, clergy who may have such a target rich environment of things to fix that (rightly) moving a cantor (cantrix) from the ambo.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    b's suggestion for the psalm sounds just fine.

The psalm may be sung from the "ambo" , the stand where the readings are presented: after all, it is Scripture too. However, it may be presented from another "suitable location" also, according to the GIRM. While the GIRM says a "cantor" should lead the psalm, this is a minimal indication, and doesn't rule out having more than one singer. The GIRM is implementing directives in "Musicam sacram" (1967), which speaks of "at least one or two properly trained singers" to lead the people.

As CGZ notes above, there are multiple permitted options for the psalm. The GIRM mentions that there is even an option to sing the verses straight through, omitting the response. You could set the verses to a psalm tone, and let the people join in singing some or all of them.

Although we often tend to think of the antiphon as the most important part of the RP, the psalm verses are the main thing here: they are always scripture, while the antiphon is just a response to those verses; and the response is sometimes not even a quotation from Scripture.
  • Kathy
    This is true of the Introits as well. They began as a Psalter, proceeding numerically through the Psalms (skipping many, obviously, but going in order). The antiphons were added to sound against them.
  • canadashcanadash
    -b

We do exactly what you suggested, or Anglican chant style... We're in the loft. No Cantor at the Ambo... No cues.
  • I'm going to start saying "cantrix".

So after all these emails we get about advent music changes from tptb, we get to mass and the cantrix has reminded the deacon and priest we are singing Kyrie. What does the deacon go ahead and do? He takes it himself.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Cantor out front, cuing congregation in restrained fashion, and singing verses solo - works ok in Westminster Cathedral, at a lectern opposite side of sanctuary from ambo. (That's not at a full choral Mass)
  • We switched alleluyas for advent. Our normal one is that tidy little mode vi one from the Anglican Use Gradual, which on solemnities is gussied up with organum-style descanting. For Advent, though, we are using the Gregorian mode iv alleluia as appointed for Advent III and others. You should have heard our people singing it as though they sang it every Sunday. Too bad no one ever told our people that, being Catholics, they can't sing these chants.

Other nice things at Walsingham this Advent Sunday -

Matins - sung matins before high mass. We do this every Advent and Lent (why only then I don't know.)

Ordinary - Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei (in English) from the cum jubilo mass, otherwise known to Anglicans as the 'Fourth Communion Service'. (Another thing that Catholics aren't supposed to be able to do. How would you like to hear several hundred people singing the cum jubilo kyrie!)

Offertory Anthem - Ad te levavi - Domenico Scarlatti

Communion Anthem - 'O pray for the peace of Jerusalem' - John Goss

As for new liturgical year plans -
    I am composing for use at the cathedral of OLW SATB or polyphonic alleluya verses for all solemnities, including those, such as (for the Ordinariate) Epiphany and Ascension, etc., that occur on week days. Since our gospel procession is a rather elaborate affair, we have ample time for verses of around a dozen bars in length.

I began with the recent Christ the King (Potestas eius), and have now completed the ones for Christmas midnight (Dominus dixit ad me) and Christmas day (Dies sanctificatus). The language is the English of Palmer-Burgess.

Any who would like to see or use these are welcome to them free of charge.

(We ordinarily do Palmer-Burgess on solemnities, but, for some reason, have consistently eschewed the P-B alleluya verse. So, these polyphonic settings are an attempt to put the alleluya and verse into a proper ceremonial register for great feasts at a cathedral church.)

(Keenly aware of some of the extraordinary compositional endowments with which some of our forum members are blessed, I'm a little skittish about putting my very humble work up here. But, perhaps it will inspire them to give badly needed attention to composing SATB or polyphonic propers after the example of Byrd, et al., at least for all solemnities.)

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    now that we have been doing the English Propers for Entrance, Offertory and Communion by various composers, this year we will be adding the Gregorian Antiphons directly before the Comm. Later in the Year we will add the Introit then the Offertory.
    We are OF.
  • I am singing in a new choir--new, as in, it did not exist until about two months ago. It's a very mixed demographic, and a joy to see us all improving together. Yesterday we tried part-singing in practice for the first time, and in Latin to boot! At Christmas we might sing an SATB piece at mass, and after Advent will begin using Mass VIII, working up from the Kyrie. We are now working on the Roman Missal ICEL chants. (Still a ways to go.)

This year I (a youngish whippersnapper) might be able to start organ lessons and gaining conducting experience. Truly, thanks be to God for our volunteer choir directors, who are generous with their knowledge and time, and for our rector, who is not at all a musician but serious about improving the music situation in the diocese.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen donr
  • Plans? People have situations where they can PLAN?
    Here are my HOPES:
    1. Recruitment!
    2. Cut out a little time to attempt to teach my peeps how to READ.
    3. For the occasional service, dig into my pocket and hire a couple of singers to do part-music with, just to preserve my own sanity.
    4. Do more Renaissance and Baroque music (dependent on 2 and 3)