Novus Ordo Deacons: What to Wear?
  • SalieriSalieri
    My Parish and the Parish-Next-Door are planning a Penance Service for Advent -- a short para-liturgy with individual confessions afterward. If a Deacon is to assist during a para-liturgy or a non-Mass Liturgy in the Novus Ordo, what vestment does he wear? I vaguely remember that at +Francis's Vespers in NY the Deacons were wearing Dalmatics -- is that Kosher? Since the Officiant and the Homilist will both be wearing copes, I don't really want the Deacon wearing just an alb (or cassock/surplice) and stole. I am actually ashamed that I don't know the answer to this. Thanks for your help.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    For a public celebration of the liturgy of the hours, the deacons usually wears simply alb and stole, but for celebrations of greater solemnity, they may wear dalmatics. I would think the former would be more appropriate following this example.

GILH:
    255. The priest or deacon who presides at a celebration may wear a stole over the alb or surplice; a priest may also wear a cope. On greater solemnities the wearing of the cope by many priests or of the dalmatic by many deacons is permitted.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • JahazaJahaza
    Well, first off, I'm not sure why this would be a para-liturgy? It sounds like Rite II of the Rite of Penance, which is a proper liturgy Perhaps they are not following the rite there?

There is a rubric for vesture for the Rite of Penance, but it's not helpful here, since it says only that the bishop specifies the vesture. Looking at Rite II, the deacon has a properly diaconal role in it, giving instructions, dismissal etc. I'd think therefore that wearing the dalmatic would make sense to distinguish his role from that of the priests wearing copes.