Gloria al Padre
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I'm a little worried about reinventing a wheel: is there already a better version of this, for Rossini-style Introits?

user-notes: ;
    commentary: ;
    annotation: VII;
    centering-scheme: Latin;
    %fontsize: 12;
    %spacing: vichi;
    %font: OFLSortsMillGoudy;
    %width: 4.5;
    %height: 11;
    %%
    (c2)
    Glo(fe)ri(fg)a_al(g) Pa(g)dre,(g) y_al(g) Hi(g)jo,(g) y_al(g) Es(g)pí(g)ri(i)tu(h) San(g)to:(h.)(;) Co(ge)mo e(fg)ra en(g) el(g) prin(g)ci(g)pio,(g) aho(g)ra(i) y(h) siem(g)pre,(h.) (;) por(g) los(g) si(g)glos(g) de(g) los(g) si(e)glos.(f) A(d)mén.(c.)(::)
  • eft94530eft94530
    E(g)spí(g)ri(i)tu(h)
    aho(g)ra(i)

Second syllable accented, no pitch change.
    Third syllable not accented, upward leap.

I am trying to point out that my excerpted examples
    show a melodic line giving an emphasis
    not in sync with the written syllabic emphasis.
  • ronkrisman
    Nope. The general rule in Spanish is to hyphenate between two consonants. (But there are exceptions.) So, it's Es-pí-ri-tu
  • eft94530eft94530
    edited above
  • eft94530eft94530
    Co(ge)mo

Might be more clear as
    Co(g)mo(e)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Thank you Fr. Krisman for the careful reading and catching of other spelling/puntuation slips! Elision is hard to reduce to rules: if I understand, you prefer Co(ge)mo e(fg)ra(g) en(g) el(g) to elided era_en. I agree Glo(fe)ria_al(fg) Pa(g)dre,(g) would be better; to my surprise my central & south American friends preferred an extra syllable in Glo(j)ri(hg)a‿a(g) Dios(g) en(e) el(f) cie(gh)lo,(g. ::) At least, when I sang it ;-)

Eft, Espíritu I modeled somewhat on the Latin Spi(g)rí(gi)tu(h)i(h) precisely to avoid an accent on the high note. As you've no doubt experienced ("and tó the Holy Ghost"), one can't consistently match English accentuation to psalm tones and has to work out how to sing it in a convincing way. I do think the clivis on como keeps a little more of the Gregorian flavor but claim no authority other than my own taste.