An Idiot's Guide to Square Notes
  • Anhaga

As a fresh convert to Gregorian Chant, I still feel more comfortable with modern notation. And here is what I imagine while I am reading the neums. I am not sure if this eventually ruin my musical literacy.

• miacoyne
    At first it can be confusing, mainly because you are not familiar with it. But I don't believe it will ruin your musical literacy. Remember, the modern notation grew out of this, and the sqaure notes with 4 line-staff is not totally different the modern round notes with 5 line-staff. Maybe it's like learning Spanich or another language (something similar to English, if you are a English speaker). Would learning another lanuage ruin the literacy of your native language?
    Once you learn to read chant notation, you will discover how to sing chants more beautifully and that there are many things in chant singing that modern notation with note-head only can not express.
  • You have found the same 'cheat' that many others of us have found in our chant journey... but you, too, eventually will get so comfortable that you see the solfege note in your head on the staff as easily as you see modern notation letter notes :)

What a nice demonstration!
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    Your brain has the capacity to master both kinds of notation. Working in both will stretch you as a musician, just as each new piece of complex music you learn enhances your ability to learn additional complex music.

And as you become very familiar with square notes, you'll realize that the old chant notation communicates nuances that simply cannot be expressed in modern. Square note for chant, modern notation for polyphony. It's all good.
  • Anhaga
    Thank you for all your comments. I was just concerned I would never learn the authentic method if I keep going on with my own modified way for the sake of convenience. I wish Catholic education provide formal chant courses more widely. I did not major in music but it is even hard to find competent music teachers who can teach chant.
  • miacoyne
    I totally agree with you. I recently discoverd a colloge that requires 4 year choir for all the students including chants singing. (I just read it from their web.) I posted under 'Singing College.' I wish all the catholic schools teach music seriously, expecially sacred music, since music is such an integral part of the liturgy, and the litrugy is heart of our faith.
  • marymezzomarymezzo
    I'll add what I didn't say in my last comment. I think you'll learn the chant notation much more quickly if you force yourself to go "cold turkey," without relying on modern notation. The more you immerse yourself in the square notes, the more quickly you'll get to the point at which your brain sees the clef and the four-line staff and just knows where the half steps are, without even thinking about it.

Honestly.
  • Pes
    I completely agree with marymezzo. Transposing adds a layer of complexity. Keep it simple.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    Yes, yes, yes on cold turkey. The extra mental step is a waste. I wasted a full year cheating in my own mind until our chant director--AVOZ--finally got me to think in neumes alone.
  • Anhaga
    I often think Gregorian chanters are real geniuses. Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I am going to stop 'cheating' away from the orthodox approach.
  • CharlesW
    You can't add an extra line to the staff. It's an outrage! A "G" loses the essence of "G"-ness if you write it on a 5-liner. The nuances and implications of its "G" essence are lost and distorted. It can never be properly interpreted or understood. It's a revisionist, Bugnini-instigated heresy of the worst order. Lord have mercy! ;-) In all seriousness, I am fine with singing from a 4-line staff, but can not play an accompaniment to it. I need modern notation for that.
  • And to think that I have been called a purist who was excessively subjective! Do the Gs that you read from a 5 line staff (and play on an organ) have G-ness? Surely, they couldn't!? Still, I continue to aver that 'accompanying' plainchant is as much a musical oxymoron as singing Bach's Magnificat without accompaniment. It loses its 'chant-ness'.
  • CharlesW
    Of course they have "G"-ness. Not trusting "G" essences from Schantz is probably a sin, as well. You haven't heard my choir's "basement"-ness when they sing unaccompanied. That's where their pitches go. ;-) Now that's one essence you don't want anything to do with.
  • One certainly would wish to avoid 'basement'-ness. But at what a cost!!!
  • CharlesW
    Chant has been accompanied for how many hundreds of years now? Of course, I realize it almost died out for many years before its restoration in the 19th century in the Roman church. But as a practical matter, I don't do that much chant, except for Latin mass parts during Lent. I do have a soft, reedy string stop the choir can hear, but a few rows away, the congregation doesn't. It works well for keeping the choir on pitch. So when I see "G" on the staff and play "G" on the organ, the choir sings all the "G" nuances and implications correctly. However, that's "G" on the 5-line staff, not the 4-line. We can't have anything novel or illicit during mass, so the two forms can not be mixed.
  • CharlesW
    BTW, Jackson, you have a good knowledge of available resources. There is a "ditty," for lack of a better term, from RitualSong I use each year after baptisms at the Easter Vigil. It's wretched beyond belief. The words are, "You have put on Christ, in him you have been baptized. Alleluia." Do you know of a musical setting for these words that is not as objectionable as the RitualSong one by Howard Hughes? Even if it's on 4 lines it would have to be an improvement. ;-)
  • For hundreds of years??? Well, of course, the accompaniments which seem to enthrall so many nowadays have not been around THAT long, have they? So, of course, whether the chant was accompanied in pre-romantic eras is a matter of conjecture; and, if it was, it would have sounded very different from that romantic-Victorian genre which we have inherited from 150+ yrs ago. Actually, it would be interesting to know 'exactly' how the chant was performed (or, what was DONE to it) throughout its long life... then, we could entertain ourselves (and our Maker) by offering XIII. century chant one Sunday, IX. century the next, and XX. century the next. There is really no end to it, is there? But, at all costs, stay out of the basement!

As for the ditty of which you speak. I have neither heard it, nor, from what you say about it, wish to. (I gather that it is utterly lacking in 'liturgical-ness'.) But you, or I, or some other members of this forum could probably compose a more appropriate setting of these words on 4, or 5, lines.
  • Richard R.
    CharlesW: I, too, have suffered under the insufferable Mr. Hughes' setting. I might suggest, as a palate-cleansing starting place, the Communion chant for the Baptism of the Lord (OF), by way of Sabbato in Albis (EF): Omnes qui in Christo baptizati estis, Christum induistis, alleluia. (Gal 3: 27)

A quick Google yields this other curiosity, as cited in Handbook To the Christian Liturgy, by James Norman, M.A. (1944):

The Mozarabic Variables for the Epiphany
    In Apparitione seu Epiphania Domini nostri Jesu Christi
    Ad Missam. Officium.

Vos qui in Christo baptizati estis:
    Christum induistis, alleluja.

V. Benedicti vos a Domino qui fecit caelum et terram.
    P. Christum.

V. Gloria et honor Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto in saecula saeculorum.
    P. Christum, &c.

(Would you believe CMAA has no Mozarabic resources on its site?)

And, for what it's worth, here's my best half-hour effort.
  • The Grenoble edition of the Graduale Romanum printed the neumes of the Vaticana on a five-line staff with a G-clef (with sharps and flats, I think). I have never seen a copy of this edition; but I have seen portions of a few chants reproduced from in in a book by Alec Robertson.
  • CharlesW
    Richard, thank you. The attachment is a great improvement over Mr. Hughes.

Bruce, I haven't seen that edition, either. I suspect there may be no "right" way to write or sing chant that has been consistent and verifiable over the many centuries. It seems, at best, an educated guess.
  • GregoryJ
    "Yes, yes, yes on cold turkey. The extra mental step is a waste."

I was fortunate enough to not be very well versed in modern notation when I was introduced to chant notation. My limited use and understanding of modern didn't hinder me when learning this "new" notation. Attempting to learn the one by merging the better understood with the lesser seems like a daunting and yes, ultimately futile task. Unless, perhaps if your focus is on transcribing from chant to modern notation.

Thumbs up for cold turkey
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Bruce, in case you don't know, there is a FASCINATING version by Weinmann that does this.

Gradualbuch : Auszug aus der Editio Vaticana mit Choralnoten, Violinschlssel, geeigneter Transposition, Ubersetzung der Texte und Rubriken
    herausgegeben von Dr. Karl Weinmann (1873-1929)
    1909 : : Regensburg, Rom, New York & Cincinnati
    Druck und Verlag von Friedrich Pustet
    Typograph des Heil. Apost. Stuhles und der heil. Ritenkongregation

I think I included some examples of this somewhere here: HERE

This entire book (by Weinmann) will soon be added to the St. John Lalande Library
  • AOZ
    All discussion aside, that merged modern/neumes thing you posted, Anhaga, is so cool!
  • Anhaga
    Thank you, AOZ. It has been a mental cheat sheet for me to minimize the number of different clefs I was challenged to get used to. Without the advices of musicians in this forum, I might have wasted more time on it. Similar experience in study. Mnemonics, sometimes, deter deeper understanding of a subject and distort its proper meaning.
  • AOZ
    Sure, Anhaga. You can't do that translating stuff forever. You have to just forget everything else and go with solfege. It can take years.

Still, I think the overlay you did was great. It really shows you how much simpler it is to sing from Gregorian notation than from modern. There is not nearly as much to learn and balance and calibrate. Not that singing the chant is easy! It requires more focus (blessed focus!!!) than almost anything I've ever done musically. It's totally absorbing.

AND...the thing you posted is a piece of art in itself...like a look into someone's brain!
  • The final vestiges of modern notation still affect me when going from one transposition to another. I can transpose as a player (brass) just fine, but when singing, the "do" is hard to move to another line when changing from one chant to another. Brick by brick (against the head sometimes).
  • Anhaga
    "when singing, the "do" is hard to move to another line when changing from one chant to another."

I agree with you.
  • miacoyne
    It's amazing how orchestra conductor can read all the different clefs and transposed instruments all at the same time. Anything is possible (I mean almost), if you put your mind to it.
  • Anhaga
    The good news is that chant is a prayer, not a one-time performance. I am sure it will be best learned and practiced in daily prayer and liturgy.

More chants in liturgy, more chant courses in Catholic education!
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    To this post, I've attached three examples from the Weinmann GRADUALE.

here is an example drawn from this site