Volunteers? Creating Database of TLM Sunday Readings and Propers
  • BenBen
    I'd like to begin categorizing the Extraordinary Form Sunday readings and propers and get it into a format that could be put in a database for websites, apps, etc. In other words, like a GregoBase, but for the texts.

From there, it would be relatively easy to make a website, app, or other tool to view or use them

If you're interested in helping (it would be mainly copying and pasting work), PM me.

Additionally, does anyone know of a good source that is 1) online, 2) copy and pastable, and 3) a solid translation? I'm not a good enough latinist to know one from the other in terms of quality.
  • tomjaw
    Yes, I am interested, In fact it is something I have been thinking about. I have all the texts of the Roman Missal, and have quite a few translations...

It may be better to do this via e-mail PM me.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Do you not like the ones at Maternal Heart?

I could probably help, as well.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The ones from Alex's worship aids at www.windsorlatinmass.org are the most accurate and he's gone through them with amazing dedication. Perhaps you could seek out his permission to use his and perhaps he'd provide you with some materials to make your quest much easier.
  • tomjaw
    I was involved with producing the UVOC sheets, I would get the text from the Vatican website...
    http://www.clerus.org/bibliaclerusonline/en/index.htm
    and use the 1957 MR for the text (use the left hand menu)

This was also the basis for the new FSSP Missale Romanum... for which we hope to produce the Supplements!

The English Translation is more difficult, I try to use the St. Andrew Daliy Missal but there are around 3 different translations and quite a few mistakes. Also if you produce local feasts and older feasts you have to use older translations, that have other problems.

The FSSP produced a new translation for their recently published hand Missal (Latin / German).

It would be good if the coding of the database could cope with Local Feasts that can fall on Sundays, and perhaps have the full calendar.
  • BenBen
    Do you not like the ones at Maternal Heart?

It's not really an issue of not liking them, they're just not in a usable in an app or website, for example.

And thanks for your offer to help! I'll be in touch when ready to begin.
  • There already is such a website, though it only has English for some texts, and it isn’t useful for folks like tomjaw who use 1939. Some search for the propers should reveal it, though its owners sometimes fail to pay for the domain name apparently…
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • Not sure if this will be helpful for your project or not, but here's a concordance of readings for the old rite that includes practically all the Masses that are in the Liber usualis, plus Lenten weekdays:
    http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/FileUpload/47/5bd95f6a4782e7cf1cf5a27960a5e3.pdf
  • BenBen
    Where is that website, Matt?
  • Here. Sorry, I was lazy and couldn’t remember where it was hosted. http://missale.heliohost.org/
    Thanked by 1tomjaw