Bonus motets for Sept. 14-Exaltation of the Holy Cross
  • Heath
    Well, due to a clerical error (i.e. I screwed up), one big feast day did NOT make it's way into my book* . . . Sept. 14. Grr.

I scrambled to find a couple settings that I had in cold storage, slapped on the "Nos autem" text (carefully/ruthlessly excerpted), and voila! A couple serviceable settings that I'd like to put here for free in thanksgiving for my wonderful colleagues in the trenches.

2-pt version is ready to go in 2 editions: SA/TB and AT. They should be attached.

God willing, I should have the 3-pt versions by early next week, but we'll see . . . struggling to find spare time now that summer is over. (UPDATE: 3-pt versions are now attached!)

Enjoy!

*What book you say? Take a look!

http://liturgicalyear.benyanke.com/

#EMCY
  • NO!!! YOU FORGOT MY BIRTHDAY???? WAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Seriously, The way in which I remember this feast is that it is my birthday.
  • chonakchonak
    Oh, dear: no wonder you seem to be cross about it!
  • Noeisdas,

As it turns out, we have not one, but two birthdays on that day.

Chonak,

You're not trying to set off the readership on a fit of punning, are you?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Punning fits about this day would be rood.
  • Matthew finally gets to the crux of the matter: good manners.
  • ghmus7
    It's my birthday as well.
  • Heath
    3-pt versions are attached above!
  • Happy Birthday all!
  • Heath
    Just put together an SAB version of the Morales . . . attached.
  • Heath,

Where did you get that clunky English translation?
  • Heath

• "Let people confess to you, O God."

It unfortunately conveys this idea: they don't need a silly priest, if you'll just let people confess to you [directly], O God.

• Heath
    Oh, the verse . . . I didn't translate that. That's the Douay-Rheims . . . you'll have to take it up with the translators and/or the Holy Spirit.

"Confess" can also be used as a synonym for "praise." I certainly don't think the DR translators were trying to undermine the sacrament of confession.

• what was wrong with the Latin words?
  • what was wrong with the Latin words?

Probably much the same thing that was wrong with the Greek and Hebrew words which the Latin words were created from: Ordinary people didn't understand them.

Wikipedia might not be the greatest source out, but I'm inclinded to take this statement at face value: "The purpose of the version, both the text and notes, was to uphold Catholic tradition in the face of the Protestant Reformation which up till then had overwhelmingly dominated Elizabethan religion and academic debate. "

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douay–Rheims_Bible
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • One would be hard-pressed to call what took place in England after the Protestant revolt "academic debate".