Weddings (GRRR)
  • CharlesW

They don't have to knock: the priest will invite them in because he thinks it will help participation.

Could very well be. I have concluded that some of our local guitar crowd smoked a few too many organic compounds in their days of yore. LOL.
  • ryandryand
    When I do get married, crappy music will not be a problem, believe me. (Sorry for the Trumpism.)

It will huge. You'll have the best music.
    Thanked by 3Salieri Ben JL
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Personally, still in divorced without annulment mode here. If I ever do get married again, my preference would be for EF Nuptial Mass, Low Mass with or without hymns. Of course, I wouldn't be the only one with input into this!
  • BenBen
    Personally, still in divorced without annulment mode here. If I ever do get married again, my preference would be for EF Nuptial Mass, Low Mass with or without hymns. Of course, I wouldn't be the only one with input into this!

Not a high Mass? Do tell....
  • BenBen
    When I do get married, crappy music will not be a problem, believe me. (Sorry for the Trumpism.)

It will huge. You'll have the best music.

Make Nuptial Masses great again!
  • Liam

Make Nuptial Masses grate again!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    1. I grew up with hymns at Low Mass and Gregorian Ordinaries at High Mass. I like both, but cannot have both at an EF Mass.

2. Hardly anyone knows very many of the 18 Gregorian Masses, and most of them will insist that they must be unaccompanied. I'm just getting tired of fighting that battle.

K.I.S.S.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • JahazaJahaza
    Not a high Mass? Do tell....

Also an entirely defensible choice on the basis of the fact that Sung Masses were historically uncommon for weddings and Solemn Masses even more uncommon.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    What Steve Collins said!

Again, it is a glorification of the "old days" before the Council when all walked on water, Gregorian chant was sung for everything, and a good time was had by all. Not! Unless you are near my age, you have no idea how bad music could be in the good old days.
  • Charles,

Some of us don't dwell in the past, or insist on judging some sub-par present on some imaginary, idyllic past. Rather, we read what the Church asks us to do, and try our best to do it, always with an awareness of the execution of our Catholic faith. Was the past all wonderful? [Rhetorical question.] So what. Let's not try to re-create some imaginary past, and instead take the high ideals the Church left us in the writings of the Popes and the saints and, to borrow from Fr. Zuhlsdorf, "Ride the damn bike!"
  • CharlesW
    I'm not the one who lives in the past. It wasn't imaginary, but real. In fact, it set the stage for all we are dealing with today.
  • MatthewRoth
    Yeah, what CGZ said. Do the old Mass well now.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    Nice and worthy goal. But you can't even find an old mass in many places.
  • Charles,

Even Pope Francis accuses (if that's not too gentle a word) anyone who wishes to promote what his predecessors have all taught of trying to live in the past, so you're in good company. Unfortunately for both you and the Holy Father, you're shooting at a target that's not there. We're not saying no to everything, or anything, but hoping others will let us get on with the work of building outposts of beauty in an ugly world.
  • CharlesW
    No objection at all to building "outposts of beauty." Just an appeal to reality.
  • "Realpolitik" was Bismarck's policy.

Christ's policy, as I recall, was "Be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect".

No offence, but I'll take the Son of God over the Chancellor.

• CharlesW
    Hey, I merely tell how things are where I live. It may be different elsewhere, but I suspect not so much. Bismarck and Christ? Kind of a ridiculous comparison.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    No offence, but I'll take the Son of God over the Chancellor.

It's not offensive at all to choose the Truth.

As for all of this "living in the past" rhetoric, here's a tu quoque for you, but it's also true: some modernists are also living in the past, insisting on liturgical practice that was popular in the 1970s and 1980s and calling it "contemporary."

Just an appeal to reality.

What I'm hearing you say in this statement is that there is 1. what the Church says and wants us to do, and 2. then there's reality. I think it is a false dichotomy to put these two things at odds with one another as your statement appears to do.

No objection at all to building "outposts of beauty." Just an appeal to reality.

When you add the first part of the statement to the second here, it seems like you are also saying that although you do not object to restoring beauty to the liturgy, you are recognizing the real barriers to it, which is a good observation. However, the "appeal to reality" part of it seems to state that although restoring such beauty to the liturgy is a good, and high-minded goal, it is impossible and unrealistic given the current state of things in the Church. I also believe that an "appeal to reality" or the idea that "this is what the Church says, but then there's reality" is relativism.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't make the world, the church, its leadership, or contemporary culture. It is what it is.
  • Charles,

Look back through the combox here. You asserted "reality" instead of "ideals". All I did was bring concrete expression to your assertion. You're right that it's ridiculous to compare Bismarck to Christ, but that raises the question: why do you insist on letting Bismarck dictate action?
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    As others like CGZ said, I'm not trying to move to the past, I'm trying to bring the Roman Rite where it ought to be. The past had some of that (certainly more than now), but it wasn't perfect either.

Our celebrant this morning preached for quite a while how outside a Cathedral (ie, without a bishop), the solemn Mass is the norm, and the low Mass is the exception, not the other way around. Similarly with the sung Mass with one priest. The low Mass was simply created out of concessions that a solemn Mass wasn't always possible. Any time there isn't a solemn Mass, it ought to be because the arrangements (clerics, music, time) could not be made for one, not because we're falling back to the low-Mass-default.

From what I understand, surely that was not the common understanding before the council, and yet that is the proper understanding to have in the Roman Rite. A good example what I mean: I want the fullness of the roman rite, not a time machine to 1953. It just so happens that in many ways (not every way), 1953 parishes did a much better job of that than 2016 parishes.

That's what I mean: I'm not trying to turn back the clock, I'm trying to do things well.

This is why our wedding was a pontifical Mass, and had the bishop not been available, it would have certainly been a solemn Mass. We ought to strive for the ideal whenever possible, and since we had the money and connections to have enough clerics present, having a Pontifical or Solemn Mass was a no-brainer.
  • Chesterton commented that the Christian principles hadn't been found to have failed. They had been found difficult, and left untried. In too many places in America, Low Mass was normal, but it isn't the norm. As Ben points out, it's a concession. Mass can be said in a prison camp, too, and on the front of a jeep, but these shouldn't be normal events. How can the Council say that music is a great treasure, greater even than any other art, and that it should be cultivated and promoted if it meant otherwise?
    Thanked by 3Ben winglet Vilyanor
  • ...music is a treasure, greater than any other art... should be cultivated and promoted...

These are, indeed, the words of the council, and everyone knows (even those who facetiously let on that they don't) that the music referenced was Gregorian chant, the polyphonic repertory and its modern likenesses, the organ, and choirs, and so forth.

Nonetheless, how many have been and are the bishops and priests (they are without number) who forbid and obstruct these very things. They have zero authority to obstruct what the council admonished, but they do it just the same... because it pleases them. What I don't comprehend is why no one of their colleagues and no one in Rome tells them in no uncertain terms that they have no authority do that because it is literally contrary to what they were given authority to do. These men love, do they not, nothing more in heaven or earth than being obeyed - yet they are masters of disobedience. Small men with large egos that need considerable pruning.
  • CharlesW
    why do you insist on letting Bismarck dictate action?

I assure you Bismarck is quite dead, and has no influence on local happenings.

Nonetheless, how many have been and are the bishops and priests (they are without number) who forbid and obstruct these very things.

I am not sure it is always a case of obstructing and forbidding. It is often a lack of support and not providing necessary funding and resources for "these very things." One doesn't have to forbid to obstruct.

I was talking with a fellow Byzantine after the last mass this morning - she is in music, too. We mentioned two things.

1. If we didn't work in music, there would be no reason for either of us to even enter a Latin Rite church again.

2. We were comparing notes on a basilica with a great music program. We both realized we could equal and maybe even surpass what that basilica is doing if our leaders would provide necessary funds and resources. They don't.

Small men with large egos that need considerable pruning.

They are usually promoted into management. Some say small musicians have pianist envy. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • MatthewRoth
    I would add that not only in 1953 were the norms higher, the rites tended to be less problematic and more traditional in themselves, without making adjustments…
  • BenBen
    I would add that not only in 1953 were the norms higher, the rites tended to be less problematic and more traditional in themselves, without making adjustments…

Well said. It's an important distinction that many miss, that there are two types of liturgical problems:

• Problems with Ars Celebrandi (how it is celebrated)
    • Problems with the text/rubrics themselves of a given ritual book

Most people will admit the former is very common since the council, but few see (or are willing to see) that the latter is also present.

• CharlesW
    Most people will admit the former is very common since the council, but few see (or are willing to see) that the latter is also present.

I see both, but don't have the means to change either. Many folks are in the same position. I can make what are cosmetic changes in the way music is presented, but have no control over the priests. The texts will not be changed unless the bishops or a new pope commit to changes.
  • JesJes
    In Australia we just share Natasha Marsh's article.
    https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/choosing-the-music-for-your-wedding-think-schubert-not-swift/
    I am so proud of her. Great young new Catholic Director of Music in Melbourne! Us Aussie girls are popping up everywhere, please keep an eye out for her. She'll probably appear on the forum sometime in the future.